Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i'm down to one disk on my front brakes it looks like the calipers aren't moving, this is an 87 aspincade with only 11k on it. any ideas on what i have to do?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center]Welcome dave in maine[/align]

[align=center]Ask your question in the[/align]

[align=center]tech forum where the really smart[/align]

[align=center]guys hang out[/align]

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
imported post

Well, a bit of elbow effort, but nothing you can't handle with a few answers.

Please repost your post in the technical forum so you will get the proper responses.

Okie dokie? :badgrin:
john

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Dave. Only 11k miles means that Wing has been standing most of its life. The calliper pistons are probablt seized and will need to be stripped out and cleaned.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, I'm with choppas on this, rebuild the calliper and while your at it, you might want to consider doing the other ones just in case. You are going to need the parts, a few wrenches, a brake bleeder, time and patience. It should only take a few hours, but if you have help it could be more or less depending on the type of help. :ROFL: This is the right site to be asking questions. Lots of good people with great knowledge. Oh, and do you have any pics? We like pics.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best bunch of Wingers around. I agree, you have a frozen piston in the brake caliper. I had to rebuild my rear this spring after being stored for a while.
Not a biggey if you are a mechanical guy. I would be sure to get original Honda seals, if i remember correctly around $20 from mother Honda.

Need any help just let out a holler !

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Welcome Dave.
Be sure to get a Honda Manual and follow it. The 1200 has linked brakes (pedal controls rear brake and right front caliper while the hand brake controls only the left front as viewed sitting on bike.)Important to know when bleeding and checking etc.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yea welcome to the Forum.
You would be wise to clean out all of your brake parts and clutch hydrolics if its been more than 2 years since they were flushed with fresh dot 4 brake fluid. There will be gunk in there that will come out only with taking apart each piece and properly cleaning them. Probably won't need rebuild kits, just a good cleaning out the gunk and flush bleed. Keep us posted how you make out.
Do you have a repair manual?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

There might be a local member there that might help you if needed. I'm in so NH for a visit but I don't know where your town is in ME.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

So where is Bowdoinham?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

the quiet little town is in the midcoast area 20 miles south of the state capitol augusta and 20 miles north of the town of freeport where the famous ll bean store is located. i'm on a peninsula on merrymeeting bay, the hottest duck hunting spot in the northeast. a far cry from the hustle and bustle of san diego i'm sure. we have one blinking light, no police, and a volunteer fire dept. the beauty of it is i can ride all day and not put my feet down.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

A ya. I lived in e Eddington '61-64 and we would stop at beans on the way to s NH. I'm back for a visit. How long have you had your bike? Has maintainence been kept up?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
....The 1200 has linked brakes (pedal controls rear brake and right front caliper while the hand brake controls only the left front as viewed sitting on bike.)Important to know when bleeding and checking etc.
X2. Was the first thing that came to mind when I read the first post, and not the first time I have heard this issue. Lots of people ride their 83 and newer Wing and don't even know the brakes are linked front to rear (or rear to front really).

Bill

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

dear lord let this be the fourth and last time i've tried to post this response. i'm on dialup and having the time of my life getting in typing practice.
yes the link is the problem, first the rear brake went then the right front, and the lower leg is covered in black dust. so do i go to the honda dealer or is there another avenue for parts? every time it type this it gets shorter,and my patience has run out. the next sound this computer will hear is the word PULL.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure what the dust is, but...if you're sure you need to rebuild, the OEM parts will be best, andusually cheaper than the aftermarket kit. Priceall the parts you needon-line at www.westernhonda.combefore you go to your local dealer. That way you'll know if they are ripping you off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.