Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put some manuals on a CD, seems simple enough, just drag and drop and seems to work until I take it out and try in in my laptop, it appears blank. Now when I put it back in my desktop it shows up but if I click on it I get a message that says "could not display" the location is not in a folder. What do I do?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Watchin' people try to avoid Winderz be like :popcorn:

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Format the DVD/CD as a Read/Write Data disk, same as we have to do for Windows.....

I use Copy / Paste, Drag 'n Drop has always been an experiment for me....

it is NOT reliable.

Why not use a USB stick instead, one hell of a lot easier.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Format the DVD/CD as a Read/Write Data disk, same as we have to do for Windows.....

I use Copy / Paste, Drag 'n Drop has always been an experiment for me....

it is NOT reliable.

Why not use a USB stick instead, one hell of a lot easier.
It doesn't give me an the option, read/wright and wants to format it as a USB stick. Tried copy/paste, same thing. I have discs, don't have a spare stick.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
I have a stack of CD/R discs and I can't get any of them to work, just pitched them in the trash last night.

using only DVDs now, and USB sticks.
for DATA, I prefer USB sticks or drives.

·
Administrator
21,847 Posts
DVDs have to be closed out correctly or they won't work on other machines. And sometimes that procedure is tricky. That's why I asked, even though you had stated it was a CD in the first post.

CDs are usually much easier to work with.

I know nothing of Linus but I'd try to: Assign it a folder and save it in that folder. Then save that folder on the CD.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a stack of CD/R discs and I can't get any of them to work, just pitched them in the trash last night.

using only DVDs now, and USB sticks.
for DATA, I prefer USB sticks or drives.
I have had some of these not work but it always says "insert a writable CD in the drive" but that was with windows. This one shows to be there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sounds like you are creating Symbolic Links instead of copying the actual file. Depending on the linux flavor and the GUI drag and drop can have weird effects. Try using Copy and Paste instead.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jpay42;5843301Try using Copy and Paste instead.[/QUOTE said:
Read post #6.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It doesn't give me an the option, read/wright and wants to format it as a USB stick. Tried copy/paste, same thing. I have discs, don't have a spare stick.
Ok, sorry, reading too fast. I would say try formating in read/write mode as a USB Stick. (Formatting is platform independent, USB is just the suggested use for the fat32 format.)

·
103 Posts
Trying to put some manuals on a CD, seems simple enough, just drag and drop and seems to work until I take it out and try in in my laptop, it appears blank. Now when I put it back in my desktop it shows up but if I click on it I get a message that says "could not display" the location is not in a folder. What do I do?

Did you forget to write the disc ?

CDR is non re writable have to "close the session" (by burning files to disc)

I think what you did was by drag drop you set the template for files to write to disc but forgot to write them.(burn them)

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
or, the CD only has links to the original location of the files on your computer.

all too easy to do.
I never, Drag and Drop, it is totally unreliable just for the reason I state.

I tag the files, then "Burn to DATA" and close session

1 - 15 of 15 Posts