Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1998 GL1500 SE that I bought new. It has 115,000 miles on it now and sometimes, usually on hot days, I can be cruising along just fine and then the bike acts like it's not getting fuel anymore. I pull off the road and let it sit 5-10 minutes and it will start and run just fine. Sometimes it will do this multiple times. Yesterday, I had it happen 3 times in about 5-6 miles. It seems like vapor lock to me, but my mechanics have assured me that Gold Wings don't get vapor lock. They also didn't have any idea what might cause it. I thinking maybe the auto fuel valve has a problem. Keep in mind that I can go months and many miles between these occurrences. This just started happening 3-4 years ago. Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fuel pump on it's way out. Can you hear the pump run when you have this problem. I'm not really a 1500 guy so this will bump you up and hopefully one of the Gurus will be along shortly.
Good Luck,
Greg

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I've changed the fuel filter a couple of times since this stasrted happening. Bought the expensive Honda ones.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi your bike can vapor lock you need to check the vent in the gas cap to make sure its not blocked also the carbs have a heat riser that is controled by its own termostat should shut down at 68degrees if it sticks the gas will over vaporisenearly boil a bitch to get at but go with the gas cap first

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I would also do a simple fuel output test on the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Raveller--No, I haven't listened for the fuel pump during these episodes. I usually just coast to a stop, shut her down, and sit and stew for a few minutes until she'll start again.

agnogel-I've played with the gas cap before but never replaced it. As for the carb heat risers, I don't know anything about those.

siebo--thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks guys, I'll try these things one at a time and let you know how it goes. It might take me a while to get to them though.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks Nick. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I may have to resort to the new fuel pump remedy, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. Meanwhile, the info will be on file.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I had the same symptoms on my 96 SE. Went with the writeup above. 1 hour repair, runs like new, now. Autozone had the Accord pump in stock. The only sore spot was not having a fuel filter on hand, and giving $18 US for one at the local Honda shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.