Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to get out today. I rode state roads up north, and to the coast. Turnaround point was Haystack Rock, north or Lincoln City.

On the way, I decided to turn the bike around and go back for a photo location. As I went to pull back onto the road from the side shoulder, the low rpm stumble got me and Moby burped. Took a nap, with the front wheel on the road, the back on the shoulder, dead perpendcular to the road.

It was a smallish state road, and I hadnt seen many cars, but I must admit I was worried about getting her back up quickly. More importantly I was worried about getting her up at all...

I move so slow, getting on and off Moby, protecting the knees. I know that the butt first technique works, but I cannot even push the bike backwards while sitting on it, let alone lift its weight in a similar motion (have I mentioned how much I LOVE the reverse?). I stood facing and gave a heave ho. It came up, not without a whole lot of crunching in the knees, but it came up. Bottom line? Not too many folks will have knees worse than mine, and I could do it. So, take that as a bit of encouragement.

I rode on to Haystack rock, then came home. On the way, listening to the radio, I heard that one of my favorite talk guys was broadcasting from his parking lot, so I altered the course to get there. I got to meet him, and got a free bottle of water (oh joy). lolz,

Good ride though. Pics of the day, below.

That spot on the side of the road? Thats where Moby chose to nap.

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/kokekid/slideshow/5-3-13

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Beautiful pics, glad you were able to wake Moby up so quickly.

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Thanks for sharing the great photos . I pray your knees let get up in the morning .

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Thanks Dick, The wife and I have always loved the Oregon coast. Unfortunately getting there would be very difficult these days with our new chapter in our lives.

Glad you were able to get her up and going again.

Take care of those knees and what chances you have to ride this year..

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far, not too much pain, I guess I deserve it though... Its a choice, once you throw that leg over you accept responsibility for your safety. Both in terms of traffic and what happens to your body.

I am smiling tonite. It was worth it!

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Picking up a GoldWing:
#
I know you said this method doesn't work for you but, I though other readers might wonder what you meant!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That butt first technique is great. Wouldnt have worked for me today, though. too much pain in the knees that direction.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Enjoyed the pics. even bug juice ones. Glad to see you and Moby were able to work out the gravity challenge unharmed.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
It really doesn't matter what method worked for you to get Moby awake again, so long as you did it without too much of an audience, and best of all you remembered to take photos for those of us thousands of miles away.:claps::claps::bow:

·
Premium Member
67,752 Posts
great pictures.. glad you or the bike weren't hurt......

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CG, you are the second to mention, and they have been fixed... Thanks...

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
UBarW, Thanks for taking us along! Great ride and some amazing pics.

I really like the one with the flags in focus and the creek behind...

Glad to hear you got Moby back on two feet without mishap!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
So far, not too much pain, I guess I deserve it though... Its a choice, once you throw that leg over you accept responsibility for your safety. Both in terms of traffic and what happens to your body.

I am smiling tonite. It was worth it!
dam straight brother!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have very bad knees, and shoulders, and seriously doubt I could pick up a Goldwing. In fact I doubt I would even try, for fear of doing more damage to the joints. I can duckwalk it backwards on level ground, I am very careful not to park pointed downhill. I even have a hard time getting my leg over the seat sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.