Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been riding my Goldwing now for nearly 7 months, and although I'm not even close to being an expert rider, I can see some improvement. To this point, I've restricted my riding mostly to the daylight hours....I've rode just a bit in the evenings, but not much.. The few times that I did ride at night, I felt a bit apprehensive to twist the throttle..The "pucker" factor was greatest when another car was approaching me...not for fear that the car would cross the center line, but visibility seems quite impaired as the car approaches. I say this because I do live in a rural area that has a fairly healthy deer population. The bucks have gone through rut, so they're not as mobile, but you still see them...particularly in the evening. I don't use my bike for transportation, just pleasure, but there are times when I'd like to ride my bike to a function, but I'm hesitant to do so, especially when it means that I would be returning home after dark.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated..And I'd like a show of hands....how many of you fine folks ride at night??

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I do ride at night, although the longest trip I have made is when three of us went to Rudy's house....that was leaving around 4am....it is a different feel to me. I feel more "closed" in riding at night. It was very peaceful that early in the morning though. I do tend to pay more attention at night for the "critters". I still am not as comfortable at night as I am during the day.....but time will heal:)

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I,m 66 years young and do not have the best night vision,but I still ride at night and the one thing that helps me the most is I wear yellow lenses in my glasses.Makes all the difference with headlights coming towards you.Very little glare,road more visable.Give em a try ......

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

I will ride day or night. Night riding doesn't bother me, although I will slow down a little at night. I also live in a part of the country that has a lot of night time critters and you always have to be on the lookout for them. You may be apprehensive at first, but the more you do it the more you will enjoy it. Early morning or late evening are some of the most peaceful times of the day to ride. Now saying this, I will not ride at night out west. I have rode in Wyoming and Montana, South Dakota, and some of the other western states, and the number of deer and antelope that I have seen on the roads during the day make me think that night riding in those parts of the country would be like playing Russian Roulette. I also have friends that live in those states that say they won't ride at night because of the animals. JMHO

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That's one of the best times to ride. Why have all the nice lighting and never enjoy it?

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I love night riding 'on the slab' more than any other type. Nice way to tour the country i the heat of the summer.

On any roads, you need good lights & don't over drive your vision, or one of those truck treads, tree limbs, road kill, etc., will getya.

I've found wildlife to be smater than most daytime drivers. :action:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

As Popeye said, don't overdrive your lights.

Also, remember the basics: Look where you want to go. Don't look directly at the headlights coming towards you, even for an instant. This avoids target fixation as it does in the day, and at night avoids constricting the pupils any more than necessary.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

in my younger and more foolish days, it was cool to me to ride around at night all blacked out from head to toe. UNTIL--------I was almost hit, then it dawned on me that they could not see me. I changed my habits real quick!

Around here, most motorcycle riders are Army guys who, by regulation, have to wear some type of reflective wear on their back to help bring attention to themselves at night. I am all for that. My advice is to incorporate some type of reflective gear into what you have.

Everrett

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I ride night and day and enjoy both but deer are always a worry in the dusky and dark hours so during those times I go slower especially on narrow roads. Sometimes if there's a good risk of hitting a deer I try to find a car to follow, figurehe's got the best odds of hitting one or at least I'll see some brake lights that will help warn me.

Has anyone ever experienced a bit of disorientation while riding through a long dark tunnel? It's no darker inside one than outside at night but I usually get an odd slightly vertiginous feeling for the first few seconds.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I'd like to have overkill on auxiliary driving lights....I want to really light up the country ahead of the Wing. I know I'll need the Compu-Fire alternator, and I'd like a couple more sets of powerful lights to really see ahead. Doesn't mean it's safer, but it might help. Even if the deer aren't dissuaded from entering the road ahead, it would help with the tire treads and tree limbs, etc. I think the more light, the better.

My unknown is how to equip, after the Compu-Fire. Where can I get a good light mounting bar that might hold a pair of powerful driving lights each side, up high around the fairing? Don't know what equipment to purchase.

Only other helpful accessories would be a powerful horn for some situations, and of course, the fingers crossed and your Gremlin bell!

May we all ride safe, day or night.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not drink. All of us do. But wait till you get home. Those all day events with time going into the evening hours, or some function you attend, everyone drinks. Just do not do it, wait till you get home.

Make sure your helmet shield and windshield are not full of scratches, if so change them, get new ones. And do not stare at on coming headlights, teach yourself to only catch a part of the oncoming lights do not fixate on them.

Wear reflective clothing on you and your bike.

Cheat.....adjust your low beam up between low and high, let it work for you.

Hold on the centerline of the road, treat every driver you meet like they are intoxicated, most are, this gives you room to move over if you need to.

Slow down, high speeds at night are just asking for it, moderate speeds are safe.

Teach your eyes to roam the whole road at night, the ditches you will see the reflection of your lower running lights in the deers eyes(do not have lower lights, go get some)

If it starts raining at night, park the bike, rain mixed with night is a serious situation.

Just a few I thought of, I will avoid any extensive riding at night, it is a game, the law of averages, or if you will risk management. The more high risk things you eliminate, the longer your career on a bike will be. Where I live deer are a real concern. Every day trip early in the morning I make to Charleston down interstate 26 I see at least one and many times a half dozen deer lying beside the road the big rigs have taken out. Running 70/75 at night on a bike around here is like playing roulette. Hold it down and you will see them first. (maybe)

Kit

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

As far as overdriving your lights, what does that mean? Does it mean you should have enough time to react to something when it enters you vision? At 40 Miles per hour you travel 58 feet in 1 second, the headlights only extend your vision 30-40 feet at best. Even if you could have headlights that would extend 100 feet that would allow 2 seconds to see, comprehend, make a desicion, and react. So i think saying don't "overdrive" the headlights sounds like good advice i don't see it as possible unless the obstrucion is lighted or reflective. Maybe i am wrong about this but if there is a better explanation i'm open to it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is why I always almost the first thing I do when I get a new bike is set it up at dusk about 25 feet from the side of the house. I adjust the low beam headlight to be 2 inches higher than the center line of the light at the bike at 25 feet.

yep this is against the law, but not high enough an LEO will ever look twice and it will greatly increase the working distance of the lights.

Most factory settings of all bike headlights are so conservative you cannot see that 40 feet at night on the low beam .

Kit

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

But you have to make sure you don't blind uncoming taffic and give them a target to fix on.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Do not drink. All of us do. But wait till you get home. Those all day events with time going into the evening hours, or some function you attend, everyone drinks. Just do not do it, wait till you get home.
Not true, some, as in I, don't ever drink (alcohol) of any kind, in over 28 years, that been said, Iride in dark about 1/3 of the time. As I use my bike most of the time, and I go to work during daylight I come home at 11pm at night. When we ride to just ride I end up coming home usually after dark. I have never really given it more thought as to the dangers, yes they are more prevalent, but I don't find myself worrying about it. I keep two sets of shields one dark one clear and have become very good at changing them when necessary. When I'm riding through the forest, I do go slower, but I can see other cages coming easily from a distance. I think I worry more of falling rock during the night than animals.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Not true, some, as in I, don't ever drink (alcohol) of any kind, in over 28 years, that been said, Iride in dark about 1/3 of the time. As I use my bike most of the time, and I go to work during daylight I come home at 11pm at night. When we ride to just ride I end up coming home usually after dark. I have never really given it more thought as to the dangers, yes they are more prevalent, but I don't find myself worrying about it. I keep two sets of shields one dark one clear and have become very good at changing them when necessary. When I'm riding through the forest, I do go slower, but I can see other cages coming easily from a distance. I think I worry more of falling rock during the night than animals.
Yes I was speaking in general terms. A night out a function and many temptations.

Us southern gentlemen have been known to pull a cork or two and fire up a cigar. I did not mean to put everyone in the same sack. I myself love to laugh, have a drink and have a good time, just have learned to do it at home. Or when the bike is parked for the night.

Did not mean to imply anything wrong, just speaking in the normal encountered situation.

Kit

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

...don't forget your deer alerts! :D

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi

I prefer driving at night and I do alot of it. Where I live the traffic gets rediculous durring the day, I feel safer at night with the deer.

Tom

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.