Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So do you guys enjoy night riding? I just got back in the house from an after dark cruise. Nice, peacefull, very little wind, no sunglasses needed, cool 68 degree weather. I love night riding. The only problem is that if I get the urge to head out of town, and I always do, the bugs are all over that windshield by the time I run er back home. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

To me that's the best time to ride. However, the wife isn't so fond of it due to the fact she can't see the countryside and views. But for trips, night time is the only way to travel. WATCH OUR FOR DEER!!!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I love night riding myself. Gotta watch out for the giant hooved rats, but I've been luck so far.

As far as bugs, it's rarely a problem here in Austin and the Hill Country. We have a few million bats that live here that love to eat them bugs up each night from around March to October.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Hello Bob,

My name is Jay ad I own a 1981 interstate.

Looking at up-grading to a 1800 at the end of this season.

How do you like your 2003?

Any major issues with that year?

Would love a 2009 but not the price, so I am looking at a little older model.

All input appreciated

Jay

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

I think night riding is great. I like cruising around town at night too. I Don't have to deal with all the crazy people like in the daytime. The later, the better. IF by bike did not have a flat, I would go out right now (1:23am) and take a spin! Count me in on the night riding.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Love to ride at night. Engine sounds so smooth, with all the daytime noise missing.

Besides, why have all the nice lighting, if you can't really enjoy it? Love the red glow that surrounds the back of the bike...

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I commute to work every night from 9pm to 10pm on the highway. Summer nights during the week with no other cars on the road, maybe a full moon, simply awesome. Best time of the day? or is it best time of the night? Whatever!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I love riding at night. Slow down, enjoy the ride and look out for critters.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I like the quiet and peace of the early morning, personally.
It's light, it's cool out and most of the drunks got where they were going by then and the world is still sleeping for the most part.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I enjoy riding at night. Most times when I'm riding at night it means I'm on a long ride by myself or going somewhere distant with Nancy on the back.
I'm a little more nervous at night, maybe cautious is the better word.
It is so peaceful watching a beautiful sunrise from the bike!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jblace wrote:
Hello Bob,

My name is Jay ad I own a 1981 interstate.

Looking at up-grading to a 1800 at the end of this season.

How do you like your 2003?

Any major issues with that year?

Would love a 2009 but not the price, so I am looking at a little older model.

All input appreciated

Jay
Hi Jay and welcome to the forum. I like the 1800, but I have not had a lot of different highway bikes so I cannot tell you if this is my bike of preference. I have a very strong desire to try out a BMW 1200LT and a 1300GT. So far the 1800 has been trouble free except changing the damn air filter is ridiculous. I think there were some recalls on the 2003 model. You should check with whoever you buy it from to make sure those have been done. Otherwise, other than maintenance, it seems to be a pretty good ride. I don't like the gear box wine that some who have 1500's don't seem to have. Anyway, good luck on your choice.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

mikef wrote:
Love to ride at night. Engine sounds so smooth, with all the daytime noise missing.

Besides, why have all the nice lighting, if you can't really enjoy it? Love the red glow that surrounds the back of the bike...
Yea, these things light up don't they? Especially if you've added some of the goodies.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I love riding at night. Sometimes it seems the bugs are the worst in the twilight or just after it gets dark. Sometimes I don't like driving into the dark so we'll plan the ride to drive as the sungoes down and stop for gas in the twilight. Then once we hit the road again the headlights are doing their job and we're through that tough time when the ski is lighter than the road.

Full moons are special, too.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

1-Shot wrote:
I love riding at night. Sometimes it seems the bugs are the worst in the twilight or just after it gets dark. Sometimes I don't like driving into the dark so we'll plan the ride to drive as the sungoes down and stop for gas in the twilight. Then once we hit the road again the headlights are doing their job and we're through that tough time when the ski is lighter than the road.

Oh I love it just as the sun is setting. Beautiful. The other night the sunset was bright red and off to the north some thunderheads were forming and it was an awesome ride. I did get home just before the rain hit.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
1-Shot wrote:

Oh I love it just as the sun is setting. Beautiful. The other night the sunset was bright red and off to the north some thunderheads were forming and it was an awesome ride. I did get home just before the rain hit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sunset and just after. It is that weird light you get when the sky is still light but the road is dark that seems to do my eyes in.

I know what you meen with the thunderheads. It looks so cool when the rain is falling in the distance and the low angle sun is lighting it up!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I love to ride at night, the only problem right now is the CB550 has "Richard All" for a head light and that is running a relay on it.
Watch out for dear, swamp donkeys, pincushions,and pole cats are the big ones. The wife and I just about cleaned a turkey last night.
I will be ever so glad to get the GL1100 going so I have a little more light at night.
James

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
Nice, peacefull, very little wind, no sunglasses needed, cool 68 degree weather. I love night riding. The only problem is that if I get the urge to head out of town, and I always do, the bugs are all over that windshield by the time I run er back home. :gunhead:
Get allot of deer and other critters that seem to be drawn to the rode at night around here, but then there are allot less idiots on the rode. Those bugs clean right up andI'll take a country ride over a city ride any time.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I like night riding too,even with all the bugs and deer we have out at night here.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

40 years ago when I was 19 I used to love to go out on the desert dirt roads at night when there was a full moon. I would turn out the lights and ride my motorcycle by moonlight. It was so great.
I don't do that anymore......yak

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Tracy and I love to take moonlight rides along the ohio river:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.