Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Been thinking of having nitrogen put in my tires instead of air...Has anyone done this on their bike?and what do you think about this?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

I think its a pretty slick way to slip $ outta your wallet and into someone elses. I just dont see the need for everyday use . Perhaps in special applications it has a real purpose .

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Big waste of your money. Just throw it in the air as you ride the result will be the same.:dude:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

The only thing Nitrogen brings to the table is better consistency. Just not important for the everyday joe. Theoretically, it may reduce corrosion........but that would be dependent on the quality of nitrogen available.

If you are running 150+ on a track, and a 1-5 psi change in tire pressure changes your handling and suspension feel as the tires heat and cool.......you run nitrogen as it is not as susceptible to wide pressure changes due to temp increases. And this isn't neccesarily due to the nitrogen...it's due to the fact that it's pure and the impurities are removed.

Other than that.....just another way to part you from your money.

I've run CO2 in my offroad tires a LOT. I've got a 20oz paint ball bottle with an air fitting adapter and regulatoron it. I can use my air ratchet to pull the lugs off the jeep or axle nuts off the bike, and fill the tires with it. Since theCO2 bottle runs at 1000 psi, it has more than enough ooomph to seat beads, run air tools, etc. Very handy.

CO2 seems to make absolutely no difference whatsoever in a tire.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Wow, nitrogen in the tires. Interesting what a person will learn just checking in with the forum.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

nitrogen was introduced because of the big surge of vehicles now having aluminum or magnesium type rims. Mentioned by bish, corrosion is reduced because of very little moisture which will save an expensive rim. Your tire pressure also remains much more constant which aids in longer tire life. it is a safe gas & when installed at the local dodge dealer here in Parksville, the charge is $10 per tire. Re fills due to flats are free as well as pressure adjustments.

So if you have very expensive rims & tires, it would be a worth while expense in my opinion.

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
imported post

Dry air is just as good as nitrogen as far as not corroding the wheels. I can get nitrogen free and still don't use it.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks to all for your reply...I will continue to use good ol air...

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I got my car tires at Costco, and as mentioned above they use it standard.

But I didn't like it. My tires seemed too mushy.

Nitrogen doesn't expand like regular air when it heats up. Your tire pressure is set while the tire is cold, but the tire is designed to run hot. So while they tell you to put 32 psi in the tire, the engineers know that the tire will be running at 45-50 psi, so they count on the expansion.

When you switch to nitrogen, you lose that expansion, so the tires that are cold filled to 32 psi will be too soft.

Unfortunately I don't know what pressure to use when using nitrogen, in order to intellegently compensate. So it's easier to just use regular air.

But since my car tires felt so mushy, I wouldn't think of using it in my motorcycle tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.