Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

any thoughts on using nitrogen in tubeless tires on a goldwing? several tire dealers around here recommend it.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

what ever floats your boat. some will swear by it, others will say it does not make any difference.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Scam. Check your pressure regularly.

John

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

It's used in aircraft tires where the temperature can change quickly from +120 degrees to -55. The nitrogen is completely free of any moisture that will condense and freeze. For road vehicles? A marketing sales pitch.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

I've been using 79% nitrogen in tires since 1951.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I found tons of info on the web, and as expected, there are 2 points of view. Here is one interesting site:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air
I just learned why my new truck tires have green valve caps!!! And here I gave those valve caps to my wife because I thought they were ugly and she thought they were pretty. So now they are on her car. I had no idea they meant the tires were filled with nitrogen.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Besides Nitrogen being an inert gas and Dry, The thought is that the Nitrogen Molecules are larger than air. So leaking or permeation through the rubber sidewalls was much less.

Here is a paper among many that tells of this.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Snake oil. After we got a nitrogen machine where I work and I figured out how it works I figured this; If you over pressure your tires and wait for the oxygen and other gasses to leak out you have nitrogen. That is exactly how the machine works, only faster.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I like helium.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Sure, use it if you have it. But, where are you going to get it with out purchasing a regulator and tank? If you need to adjust pressure is it available whervever you are at?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Swiss-Wing wrote:
I recommend water.:)

The good thing about water is that you don't need a compressor. Just build an adapter, water hose

to tire valve, and turn on the water.Leaks? Naw! Solved that one by putting a couple of cans

of stop leak into the tire as I mounted it.:D

I tried that blinker fluid. It worked great at first, but I couldn't find any when I

attempted to adjust the pressure while on a trip. Terry

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Not water, not blinker fluid either. It's100% pure undiluted seafoam in my tires. And man it isn't easy pouring it in that little valvestem either with all the air rushing out.

On racedays I use racing fuel instead of seafoam. vroom vroom.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

I made an adapter several years ago and put water in a mountain bike. Very hard to ride and stop. The water wants to keep moving. Everyone had to try it.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Blinker fluid is a very bad idea. It seems to evaporate as quickly as rubbing alcohol. That is tho only reason you see so many folks ignoring theirs. They want to, but the fluid evaporated.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I don't know about gold wing tires, but I have been running nitrogen in my kawi 900 tires for 2 years and have had no trouble with pressure fluctuations with temp. change. I think it is a good idea......... in fact I am going to put some in my wings tires as soon as i get the time. Mabey I will throw some propane, water, and a few jelly beans in them too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.