Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought an '87 GL1200 Aspencade & it seems to have no 4th gear. It registers 1-2-3...OD on the LCD display. I don't even feel a 4th gear. It had a tow ball on it. Any ideas on where I can start looking?

Any help would be Grateley Appreciated!

Duncan.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
When you are in third and lift the shifter for fourth what happens? If you let the clutch out will it drive? More detail could be helpful. Does it have heel/toe shifter? Aftermarket floor boards?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
if you ignore the display, and just shift by feel, it ought to have 5 gears.
the tranny simply will not go from 3rd to 5th.

the shift position sensor must be out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Like said just above, the transmission will not skip a gear mechanically. If it's just not showing a 4th on the display, adjustment or wire defect is the answer.

Back in the '90s after I did a stator job on my '85 Aspencade, it soon stopped reporting a gear, I forget if it was 4th or 5th, but what had happened was the lead (black plastic like tube with several wires in it) from the sensor (frt right of motor under front, exits front cover) led to a red (I think it was red) connector up abover the radiator on the left side, and when I plugged it back in one lead or contact pin was pushed backwards out of the connector, there is also not a lot of slack there …. but in my case, I just noticed one of the several wires was "slack" at the plug, I used a very tiny screwdriver to push the errant pin back in with the rest of the wires, never an issue again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts