Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I took the baffels out of the pipes today, and I love the sound they put off now. But, it's a bit loud up near me now. Has anyone had experience with turn-down tips for the 1200's or some other way to deflect the sound away from me, and into the windows of passing cars?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Earplugs work for me.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
So, I took the baffels out of the pipes today, and I love the sound they put off now. But, it's a bit loud up near me now. Has anyone had experience with turn-down tips for the 1200's or some other way to deflect the sound away from me, and into the windows of passing cars?
Hmmmm you like the way they sound, but you don't want to hear it, why not leave it the way it was.

Yes there are turn downs available or were but my experience with them is that they trap moisture in the muffler and pretty soon your looking at repairs.

If you want the harley sound buy a harley.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, the reason I pulled them is so that I am more noticable to other vehicles. Now I can't hear the radio. Oh well, I'll ride it for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Well, the reason I pulled them is so that I am more noticable to other vehicles. Now I can't hear the radio. Oh well, I'll ride it for a while.
They will still not hear or notice you with coffee in their hands, cell phones to their ears, the boom box deafening them etc etc etc.
Ride your bike knowing that them who surround you are total idiots then you can ride quietly and listen to your radio.

I just love quiet bikes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tricky is right on point with that one, I've have cagers try to pull into my lane right into the middle of a 45 coach I was driving. If they can't see a 14' tall wall of steel right beside them blocking out the sun, they won't hear a cannon going off. I'd be interested in knowing the accident ratio between HDs and Goldwings to see if noise had any beneficial effect.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I recently rode with a couple of friends of mine on a 120 mile trip. One was riding a Harley, the other a Honda Arrow. Both had pretty much straight pipes on theirs. My '83 still has the original pipes with some extensions on them. When I was riding behind them, I couldn't hear myself think so I'd drop back quite a bit to make it more bearable. When it was my turn to lead, I'd get about 75 yards in front of them andit was so nice and quiet. What's funny is I thought my bike was kinda loud, but apparently not.

I've heard the debate, loud pipes save lives. Now if I was in a car that they were coming up on, I wouldn't hear the noise until it was too late. If I was coming up on them, maybe I'd stay the h*** back just to save my hearing. I think that the folks that like the noise have the right to do so just as long as they don't roar past my house in the middle of the night and wake me up.:XAlthough, I do have some onery friends that will do just that :gunhead::action::cheeky1:

I like quiet.

ssshhhh......Hobie sleeping

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I have been driving my 1200 without baffles for quite some time and I truly enjoyed the sound especially when shifting at 8000 RPM, but, since my wife rides with me quite often I have had to relent and fabricate some baffles to keep her quiet, (the bike I mean.)

Since I built my own stainless steeltail pipes I was able to set up an inexpensive baffle system that just about makes my Wing quieter than a stock one. Now I can simply unscrew the baffles if I want the noise for when I ride with my Harley friends or screw them back in if I want the quiet.

Here's a couple of things I have noticed regarding baffles and engine performance;

1) with open pipes the engine will rev freely and cleanto 8000 RPM

2)with the baffles in place I get better mid range performance and slightly better fuel economy, but, the engine starts to run out of breath around 7000 RPM.

It seems the Wing engine/exhaust systemneeds a bit of backpressure at cruise RPM to deliver best cruise fuel economy and mid range torque.

Who would have thought so? But, remember my exhaust system is not stock so you may get totally different results.

Here's a pic to show the pipes I made and if you want to build some for yourselfemail me and I'll explain how to do it yourself inexpensively: http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrille/vicspics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=597

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

They will still not hear or notice you with coffee in their hands, cell phones to their ears, the boom box deafening them etc etc etc.
Not fair I can too hear you!! Oh you meant a cage?? Sorry!

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

I would like louder pipes,and im ot affraid to admit that it may be my age .I just like it loud,but i also like to ride alot so starting the bike up at 6am to get to work will wake all neighbors.

I like the right to ride better than the thrill of noise.

It would take no time at all for all the retirees in my area to put up a local law against my bikes noise.

Right now it sounds like my stock Bronco.Loud but bearable earlyin the am.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

For my wing the music is more important than the sound.

When im riding my Harley FXD and I want music I bring my mp3 player and earbuds:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Philcsand, as long as you are happy with the exhaust noise that is all that counts.. You might have someone else ride it near you as most loud exhaust usually sounds completely different to others (off the bike) than the rider..

I had a set of pipes on one of my Harley's that to me (the rider) sounded terrible.. To others they sounded good & I got lots of complements on how good they sounded (just didn't sound good to the rider)..

As far as experience with turned down pipes? My 1200 had them on when I bought it.. I couldn't make an aggressive turn or even a quick lane change without dragging them on the road. They would even drag in a tight (to the lock) parking lot turn..(they're removed now as I couldn't stand all the dragging,, but they did make nice sparks in a turn at night)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

This is the second ressurected thread of mine in just a week...

Odd...

Anyhow, I ended up putting the baffles back in. I was having toruble hearing the radio over the exhaust note, and I didn't want to wake up the neighbors when I left for work in the morning...

I may pull them out again, but for now, my wing is a mute again.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

hiya

if you want 2 be heard more ever thought of forward faceing speakers and turning the volume up :dude:

ride safe and turn the music up

cheers Pete

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Tricky.. I've had the turn down extensions on my 86 Aspy for 20 years now.. No rusted out exhaust or problems of any kind..

There are drain holes at the bottom of the main pipes and if they are clear, water will exit properly.. Any exhaust system will eventually rot out, but it should not be due to the extensions. Should the bike not be ridden long enough each time, sufficient moisture AND particles of rust could plug up the holes causing premature rust thru..

Renegade

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

Hi Phil, I have turndowns on my 1200 and I have removed the stock baffles and replaced them with my own creation. it has a nice rumble but is not loud at speed. I can't see any mileage difference and my pipes don't drag. How can they, my floorboards beat them to the pavement:p got to fix that someday.

Nick:waving:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing the accident ratio between HDs and Goldwings to see if noise had any beneficial effect.
Seems to me, the majority of the time I see a motorcycle being pulled over by LEO, it's usually a HD or a crotch rocket

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

My bike has had turn downs for all but the first year of its life. No rust issues to speak of or dragging of pipes.

My experience with turn downs is that it makes it a little louder, especially in corners.

Regular car turn downs were usedand cut to mountflush with end of the stock pipe andthe light bar.

There is a decent picture of it in my photosthe 'crater lake' picture if you are interested. Too bad I couldn't send how it sounds:action:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.