Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recieved these bikes recently, and I am fixing up the 77 to ride. I rebuilt the carbs, and now it starts and runs awesome. Problem: it won't stop. There is no brake pressure in the front OR rear. Any chance a flush and bleed could be a quick fix since it has been sitting?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The first thing to do is bleed them if the pedal and lever are soft. You might also find that the pistons are stuck in the callipers.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

There are a few things that happen to the brakes when they sit. As mentioned, the pistons and calipers corrode and get stuck, and the seals in the masters can go bad. Normally the calipers can be rebuilt without the need to buy any parts as long as the pistons are not too rusted. Sometimes the masters will 'come back' with a flush, new fluid and bleeding, but not always. You might (will) snap a bleeder valve or three, and I have found the easy way to remove them is by putting a thin washer over it, then welding a nut to it. They come right out, and if you remove the washer you can still use the bleeder by drilling a hole through your weld (or just loosen it when needed).

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.