Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all...:waving:

Missy is doing well, she is looking at a 650 right now. She thinks she is ready to step up a bit from her 250.:baffled: She complains the vibration in the rebel is excessive and wants another bike.. Guess that is enough about that!! Well back to my problem, I installed a "car" radio on my 85 GL1200i (sounds great), finished the job and backed the bike out put it in gear and it lunged forward as if I didn't have the clutch in. I worked the clutch a few times and restarted the bike in neutral. Same thing.. I pushed it back in and as per the book bleed the clutch. But I still have nothing in the clutch.. the fluid was low so I figured it was due to the excessive heat in the garage here in Sunny KY. Is there a fuse I missed somewhere? I check all the fuses I could fine and all were good. I guess I can bleed it again, maybe there is more air in there. I get nothing when I squeeze now. Oh and bTW..bleeding that darn thing was a pain...GRIN Any thoughts what I could have done or need to do?

As always thanks...

Jim

:12grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jim wrote:
finished the job and backed the bike out put it in gear and it lunged forward as if I didn't have the clutch in. I worked the clutch a few times and restarted the bike in neutral. Same thing.. I pushed it back in and as per the book bleed the clutch. But I still have nothing in the clutch.. the fluid was low so I figured it was due to the excessive heat in the garage here in Sunny KY. Jim
It's the notorious hard to bleed clutch problem. Do a search in the box above Jim, there's lots of discussion of the subject. If the fluid was low it might be indicating a leak. I'd drain, refill and go through the throes of bleeding first and see how it holds up. Don't bother looking for fuses, it isn't electrical.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks.. just "bleed" a whole bottle of fluid through....ugh:gunhead:... after a full bottle I still don't have pressure.. I get a nice little spurt during the bleed but...no pressure at the lever...How much does that system hold.. I must be doing something wrong... I read the other posts.. I guess I will put it on the kickstand tonight and see if "any" air leaks.. I really didn't hear to many bubbles.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Try the 'turn the handlebar so the clutch master is up, tie the clutch lever down and leave it all night' method. Crack the banjos. Pumping the fluid into the bleeder filling it from the bottom also helps. Just be sure not to overflow the master cylinder, the fluid sure likes eating paint.

Ashas mentioned,it can be a bear to clear all the air. (Johnny Cochoran 1987)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Jim wrote:

Missy is doing well, she is looking at a 650 right now. She thinks she is ready to step up a bit from her 250.:baffled: She complains the vibration in the rebel is excessive and wants another bike.. Guess that is enough about that!! Well back to my problem, I installed a "car" radio on my 85 GL1200i (sounds great), finished the job and backed the bike out put it in gear and it lunged forward as if I didn't have the clutch in. I worked the clutch a few times and restarted the bike in neutral. Same thing.. I pushed it back in and as per the book bleed the clutch. But I still have nothing in the clutch.. the fluid was low so I figured it was due to the excessive heat in the garage here in Sunny KY. Is there a fuse I missed somewhere? I check all the fuses I could fine and all were good. I guess I can bleed it again, maybe there is more air in there. I get nothing when I squeeze now. Oh and bTW..bleeding that darn thing was a pain...GRIN Any thoughts what I could have done or need to do?

Jim, in a lot of cases air gets trapped in the rubber line just as it exits the master cylinder. Just gravitybleeding it alone will allow the fluid to pass under the air & drain out the lower slave cylinder but not displace the air in the line. In stubborn cases you will have to remove the banjo line fitting at the upper master cylinder & pre-bleed the master cylinder then use a turkey baster or syringe & force fluid through the rubber line. Once you can get it pre-bled enough to allow some pressure to buildin the master cylinder it will then bleed out the normal way.

An alternate method is to force fluid back up through the system by using a syringe or pressure set-up to force fluid back up from the lower bleed fitting until fluid (& the air) comes out at the handle bar master cylinder. Remember the air will raise to the top but that means you need to have a clear (only uphill path) so the air will raise up & out the top. The only way to force the air in the system to go out the bottom is to have massive fluid movement in the master cylinder & lines & for that to happen you need to get it to the point that you can build some pressure in the master cylinder.

CAUTION: DO NOT get any brake fluid on the bike's paint or it will ruin the paint.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

looks like the gurus have already jumped in... the 1200 clutch master cylynder is VERY difficult to bleed. the upward angle out of the master cylynder to the line is the place where little bubbles like to hide. Exavid is correct in that you need to move things to address that angle and so everything flows down hill. Many of use have had this problem and as mentioned there are lots of threads on this.

btw, I have discovered that cursing, while making me feel like I am accomplishing something, really doesn't work.

Walked my baby girl down the ailse last saturday.. and I didn't trip

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
btw, I have discovered that cursing, while making me feel like I am accomplishing something, really doesn't work.

Walked my baby girl down the ailse last saturday.. and I didn't trip
I didn't know you could fix a recalcitrant problem without talking to it in a language it could understand.

Congrats on the wedding. I think I was more nervous at my daughter's than my own. On second thought maybe not, when you hit that level of nervous there's no comparison.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Try the syringe deal it may take a little more time but it works great did to my breakes and my clutch on my 86 1200

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I made it down the ailse just fine, and also sand the Lord's prayer in the service.... but when I started a toast at the reception my voice got all screwed up and I could barely talk...

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Jim, I just went thru this on sun night. Clutch was very soft, fluid very low, no obvious leak etc. Anyway I bled it all ways suggested. At the banjo bolt, then used a mighty vac, then zip tied the lever to the bars overnight. Was a bear but I got it. One problem I had was that the bleeder screw was somewhat corroded and needed to be cleaned. Air was getting back in the system while I was trying to bleed the bloody thing. I guess if all else fails the MC went bad or the slave cylinder is no good. I just started a thread about a leaky slave cylinder. I'm going to keep an eye on mine becausse I really don't know where the fluid went. THe clutch problem is not related to your other work.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Another member of our riding club used a Mity Vac , in reverse to successfully bleed  his 1200 clutch.. it is a real pain , but,   according to him, you actually force the fluid up thru the lines to blow that last little bubble out ....                                                                     I once, on  my SilverWing could actually see that tiny bubble ,trapped at the mouth of the lines in the master resevoir....  a tiny single  strand wire, and "pop" it was gone!! Silver /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

SilverDave, How does one use a Mity vac in reverse?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
My Mity Vachas an outlet for vacuum or positive pressure. The pressure side is merely the outlet for the vacuum pump.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
gkiesel , don't pump any brake fluid through your My-Ty-Vac or you will ruin it. The internal piston will swell up & render it useless in the future. An old syringe works good (it will also swell up & become inop but just toss it when done). If you take an old glass jar with a tight fitting lid, you can drill 2 holes in the top, solder in or epoxy in 2 hose fittings.. Run a hose from one fitting to the bottom of the jar & leave the other fitting short.. Fill the jar with some brake fluid then attach the pressure side of your My-Ty-Vac to the short fitting.. Hook a long clear hose (from the fitting that goes to the bottom of the jar) to the slave cylinder bleed screw.. When you pump your My-Ty-Vac it will pressurize the jar & force fluid out & up that clear hose, back up through the lower bleed fitting, then back up through the lines & through the master cylinder's take up port. That is a good way to bleed a Wing clutch as it forces the air to go up & that is something it wants to do anyway.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.. 'Twasn't my Mity Vac...  but I think both the GURU's have answered it...   He told me he "used" the mity vac to force fluid UP from the bottom.. since I do not have one...  I am not sure... but .....lol. I think Twisty has the best solution.. a two tubed glass jar lid../forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies/cooler.gif SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A jar like Twisty described is what I mentioned in a post awhile ago, it works fine to bleed the brakes into also. Just attach the tubing from the bleeder to the fitting on the jar that goes to the bottom of the jar, have enough fluid in the jar to cover the lower tube as an air lock. This way if you have no one to hold the brake pedal down while you screw the bleeder in you can let up on it and all it will do is suck in fluid and no air provided you have the bleeder just a little open to keep the threads from sucking in air.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

ok.. thanks all! I did manage to get pressure back after the "bleed from #$%^". I also let it sit over night with the master higher and bleed it from top and got pressure right away. Thanks again, I think this a lession that will not be forgotten...:clapper:

Thanks Again,
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Jim wrote:
ok.. thanks all! I did manage to get pressure back after the "bleed from #$%^". I also let it sit over night with the master higher and bleed it from top and got pressure right away. Thanks again, I think this a lession that will not be forgotten...:clapper:

Thanks Again,
Jim
As you can tell... we have all had those wonderul moments of becomng one with our wing

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Good Job Jim Glad to see a success. George

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.