Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry folks for jumping right in as soon as I registered but im going crazy here with my 1500
it has zero compression on any cylinder ,I have removed the carbs thinking blockage but no difference I have checked the timing and its spot on both sides ,you can also just see all pistons moving by peering down the plug hole
I have read a post I think that was on here about the lash adjusters being at fault but on all 6 cylinders seems a stretch as does both head gaskets being blown

not sure where to go next with carbs removed I would have expected to feel it sucking ,and with them removed did another compression test at zero
am now at my wits end as to where to go next ,lash adjusters or ?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
What did you look at for timing?

Have you replaced timing belts lately or did one break?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope not replaced them since last year ,checked it in case one had broken or slipped but all bob on never had one break

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Don't take this wrong...but are you sure your compression tester is working?

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
Don't take this wrong...but are you sure your compression tester is working?

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
That is kind of what I was thinking too. One or two cylinders, possible engine at fault. All SIX cylinders? Very possible the compression test equipment malfunctioning or the individual holding the tester is malfunctioning.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol I tested it on sons gl1500 several times then back to mine then back to his etc etc so absolutely positive tester and myself all working his gave 8 bar cold after a couple of cranks mine nothin all very strange to me and im stumped

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
lol I tested it on sons gl1500 several times then back to mine then back to his etc etc so absolutely positive tester and myself all working his gave 8 bar cold after a couple of cranks mine nothin all very strange to me and im stumped
Did you verify that the cams are rotating and the valves are opening and closing?
Did you try squirting some oil in the cylinders before the test?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
That is not real common but a few have had this problem. What the problem is is the adjusters have over extended and holding the valves slightly open. The cure seems to be to rotate the engine 1/3 of a turn and let it sit for an hour or so and rotate it slightly again and so on until it has made 2 complete revolutions.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes its been stood most of winter ,yes took off rocker cover and watched cams rotate and valves operate ,and yes gave a couple of squirts of oil in each cyl along the way ,can try the rotate engine a third etc as that sounds easier than dropping cams out and removing lifters

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
That is not real common but a few have had this problem. What the problem is is the adjusters have over extended and holding the valves slightly open. The cure seems to be to rotate the engine 1/3 of a turn and let it sit for an hour or so and rotate it slightly again and so on until it has made 2 complete revolutions.
All 12 just from sitting? Some of them were holding valves open during the "set period", how can they extend?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
yes its been stood most of winter ,yes took off rocker cover and watched cams rotate and valves operate ,and yes gave a couple of squirts of oil in each cyl along the way ,can try the rotate engine a third etc as that sounds easier than dropping cams out and removing lifters
Like Dave said it seems to only happen in cold weather. Lot of theories why it happens but no real answers. There might be a common thread and that is it seems thicker oil and running in the winter. The cure is just what Dave explained. I would add that if you can get a heater under it will thin the oil and MIGHT help. No doubt that somehow that oil it trapped in the adjusters. Used to always take the cams loose but this seems to do the trick but takes a while. You have to turn it and give it plenty of time for the oil to seep out of the adjuster then turn it 1/3 turn again. If you take the plugs out and in 5th gear rotate the rear tire 1/3 every so often until you have 2 turns. If you rotate the tire backwards is better as the oil pump will not push any oil up to the engine. Be assured that is the issue. It has happened before. DON"T START YOUR BIKE IN THE WINTER. Let it sleep. :)

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
nope not replaced them since last year ,checked it in case one had broken or slipped but all bob on never had one break
Well, if replaced last year should be good for a few years, changing cam belts yearly isn't needed. I'm guessing you've "rode" the bike since the replacement & it was OK (all bob on)?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
would it kinda fix itself by cranking it over with the starter.?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
would it kinda fix itself by cranking it over with the starter.?
You would think so and people have tried with no luck. Theory is the oil is thick and cranking more thick oil only makes it worse. The theory is that by turning the engine only a small amount puts various adjusters under spring pressure. Then let it sit so the thick oil can bleed. Then turn it again and again. Eventually you get enough cylinders that it will start. That is a best guess but not sure. It happens every so often only in the winter.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Tha for the detail explanation,I guess it would be wise to change it to the lightest oil one could find if it was going to set for the winter?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Tha for the detail explanation,I guess it would be wise to change it to the lightest oil one could find if it was going to set for the winter?
Just don't run it in the winter. That is the only time I have heard of it happening and rarely even then. Not sure if anyone knows why for sure..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts