Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
3 of the clutch disc are down to bear metal on both sides and 3 are down to bear metal on one side. Just ordered everything new. Gonna rebuild slave cylinder too
With all that damage to the clutch fiber disks, it makes me wonder what oil was used.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,246 Posts
With all that damage to the clutch fiber disks, it makes me wonder what oil was used.
with it being a trike,
I am wondering if previous owners were using a heavy throttle while engaging the clutch, and not allowing the engine to gradually get the bike up to speed?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's a 1996 golgi g. When I bought it, it had 17000 miles on it. The man I bought it from was in his 70,s . He told me it was his first bike and he never ran it that much. He had it over 20 years. The carburetors were all tarnished and gummed up. I kept running g seafoam it it to get to clean the carburetors cleaned out. I run pennzoil 10w 30 on it. That's what I run in my 1987 goldwing and never have touched the rngi e except 2 changes of spark plugs. It has 192000 on it. Still running g strong. It's tricked out with a motor trike kit and stl runs smooth

·
Registered
379 Posts
So you put 170,000 miles on the original clutch! I would say that is pretty good mileage for a trike clutch. I don't own one but that kind of mileage on any clutch is impressive.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
By chance is the oil rated for use with a 'wet clutch'?
Even if it is not it won't cause the clutch to wear out, it would just make it slip because of the anti friction additives.

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
And if you subtract that from the 192K on his 1200 you actually get 175k miles. But one has nothing to do with the other . Except he is happy with SeaFoam and Pennzoil and Goldwings . ;)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Have it all torn down. Gonna replace everything. Found the clutch basket is cracked. Order everything for it through Hondapartswarehouse.com. I ll let you know how it goes.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts