Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
57,980 Posts
With all that damage to the clutch fiber disks, it makes me wonder what oil was used.
with it being a trike,
I am wondering if previous owners were using a heavy throttle while engaging the clutch, and not allowing the engine to gradually get the bike up to speed?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's a 1996 golgi g. When I bought it, it had 17000 miles on it. The man I bought it from was in his 70,s . He told me it was his first bike and he never ran it that much. He had it over 20 years. The carburetors were all tarnished and gummed up. I kept running g seafoam it it to get to clean the carburetors cleaned out. I run pennzoil 10w 30 on it. That's what I run in my 1987 goldwing and never have touched the rngi e except 2 changes of spark plugs. It has 192000 on it. Still running g strong. It's tricked out with a motor trike kit and stl runs smooth

·
Registered
372 Posts
So you put 170,000 miles on the original clutch! I would say that is pretty good mileage for a trike clutch. I don't own one but that kind of mileage on any clutch is impressive.

·
Administrator
24,676 Posts
By chance is the oil rated for use with a 'wet clutch'?
Even if it is not it won't cause the clutch to wear out, it would just make it slip because of the anti friction additives.

·
Premium Member
12,702 Posts
And if you subtract that from the 192K on his 1200 you actually get 175k miles. But one has nothing to do with the other . Except he is happy with SeaFoam and Pennzoil and Goldwings . ;)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Have it all torn down. Gonna replace everything. Found the clutch basket is cracked. Order everything for it through Hondapartswarehouse.com. I ll let you know how it goes.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts