Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL 1800 and I don’t seem to be getting fuel to the throttle body does anyone have any suggestion. I am getting fuel to the fuel bar for the injectors. I can actually poor fuel into the throttle body and it will start that way. I would highly appreciate any help I am not a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
No fuel goes to the throttle body, it only goes to the injectors. If you are sure you are getting plenty of pressure to the injectors something is causing them to not operate. With the SIDE STAND DOWN crank the engine for 10 seconds WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE. If there is a fault the FI light will blink a code.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Does your (check engine) light come on and then go out after key turned on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No fuel goes to the throttle body, it only goes to the injectors. If you are sure you are getting plenty of pressure to the injectors something is causing them to not operate. With the SIDE STAND DOWN crank the engine for 10 seconds WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE. If there is a fault the FI light will blink a code.
Ok thanks I tried that and the FI light just flickers as does the neutral light also but I did not see it flash a code

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Ok thanks I tried that and the FI light just flickers as does the neutral light also but I did not see it flash a code
That could be a clue but if you don't have the skills to track it down it could be difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That could be a clue but if you don't have the skills to track it down it could be difficult.
Ok thanks for the reply we no longer have a local Honda dealer and the only Goldwing mechanic they had is no longer available due to a stroke. So I was just trying to figure it out on my own.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
OK, I'm thinking it could be a ground problem. There has been problems with the main ground under the gas tank and a connector in the harness behind the headlights. Could be a power problem in one of several places also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'm thinking it could be a ground problem. There has been problems with the main ground under the gas tank and a connector in the harness behind the headlights. Could be a power problem in one of several places also.
Ok thanks I will try and check those locations out. It was running fine when I parked it last year and the last time I was home it wouldn’t start and I realized that the fuel pump wasn’t working so when I made it back home I was able to change out the fuel pump and it’s working and delivering gas to the injectors, but I don’t think they are dumping it in the cylinders

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Ok thanks I will try and check those locations out. It was running fine when I parked it last year and the last time I was home it wouldn’t start and I realized that the fuel pump wasn’t working so when I made it back home I was able to change out the fuel pump and it’s working and delivering gas to the injectors, but I don’t think they are dumping it in the cylinders
Are you aware that the fuel pump will only run if the engine is turning because it is started or being spun by the starter? If the engine is not rotating the fuel pump quits in about 2 seconds even with the key on.

I had one experience and I don't know what to think of it. I had a GL1800 that sat for about 2 years with no gas stabilizer and I was surprised to find all the injectors had so much varnish in them the bike would not attempt to start. I don't know if this is common or what caused it to get that bad, that fast. :unsure:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
I looked at a dirt bike yesterday that wouldn't start. I drained some fuel to test for water and it didn't smell like gasoline to me so we drained it and put in fresh and it finally started.
Charge your battery also Rolan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you aware that the fuel pump will only run if the engine is turning because it is started or being spun by the starter? If the engine is not rotating the fuel pump quits in about 2 seconds even with the key on.

I had one experience and I don't know what to think of it. I had a GL1800 that sat for about 2 years with no gas stabilizer and I was surprised to find all the injectors had so much varnish in them the bike would not attempt to start. I don't know if this is common or what caused it to get that bad, that fast. :unsure:
Ok thanks I thought the fuel pump kept pressure to the injectors with the key on. I did clean out the tank when I replaced the fuel pump and put fresh gas in it, so the injectors being varnished makes since to me. They are getting fire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at a dirt bike yesterday that wouldn't start. I drained some fuel to test for water and it didn't smell like gasoline to me so we drained it and put in fresh and it finally started.
Charge your battery also Rolan.
Ok thanks I have had a trickle charge going on it while I have been working on i, I still need to check the grounds that you told me about last night also, and guys I really do appreciate y’all getting back with me on this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts