Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas...I installed some heated grips on a friends bike, and the grip glue that I got from Gary at Cyclemax is dried up. He said that has been a problem for them and they no longer carry the glue. So he refunded my money, and thats all he can do for me.:? What is the next best glue, and where does one purchase it? This is what I used on my machine, and after many failed attempts with other glues...this is what I would have sworn by. My friends bike is sitting without grips, and I have no idea what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Big Bike Parts used to have good grip glue.
Many here just shoot in some of momma's hair spray.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried hair spray, gorilla glue, other grip glues....even tried doing the technique like they do with golf clubs----as soon as the grips get hot...they move. Big bike parts glue is what i was referring to, recommended by Ken (Dusty Boots)... and nobody seems to stock anything that isnt already dried up. That is what I used on mine and they are still golden...so I am still in search of....

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
I have had really good luck with the liquid hair spray in the pump bottle. I think the cheaper the better.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I use super glue. Had problems with heated grips always getting loose. Tried 3 or 4 other glue and ideas. But super glue works. Been using it for about 2 years on 3 different bikes. Not a problem and it is cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
The only thing I have used for grips for decades now is the cheapest aerosol hair spray you can find. If you want to go big, buy Aqua Net. That stuff should be called grip glue.
When you are ready to put the grips on, spray very liberally on the bar end and inside the grip, slide the grip on and leave it alone for several hours. :?. If it is really cold out, it may take a little longer than that. I have never had one come of, until I cut it off.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The only thing I have used for grips for decades now is the cheapest aerosol hair spray you can find. If you want to go big, buy Aqua Net. That stuff should be called grip glue.
When you are ready to put the grips on, spray very liberally on the bar end and inside the grip, slide the grip on and leave it alone for several hours. :?. If it is really cold out, it may take a little longer than that. I have never had one come of, until I cut it off.
Is that with heated grips??? That is where he says the problem comes into play when the heat gets turned on.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
With heated grips look for some pro taper grip glue and if you buy it work very fast because once you get the grip on it dries very, very fast and the grips won't move.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
+1 on the Super Glue. I don't have heated grips, but here in Northern California, summer temps get upwards of 100F and I found the grip glues would soften. I chatted with a local custom bike builder, he said Super Glue. Gotta admit, it works like a champ.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info fellas...I will be sure to let you all know how it turns out.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
The last grip glue I purchased and still use reminds me a lot of rubber cement...I wonder if that woud work...?

Buy it at the local Wal*mart, K-Mart or store like that...?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I just installed a set of Symtec Heat Demons (grip heaters). Symtec suggests using JB Weld for the grips, which is what I did. It's unaffected by heat. Yes, they won't be easy to remove if necessary...but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
All the one piece heated grips I have put on have called for Epoxy. I have used JB Weld and have not had a problem. When I put on Symtec heating elements and rubber grips over them, I have used hair spray without any problems.
Even though both types provide heat, they are different and require different types of adhesive to work.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I used some of my wifes Hairspray when I put the heated grips on last fall and used the heat alot, no trouble what so ever. They were Show Chrome grips from Cyclemax and the grip heaters from California Sport Touring or something like that. I thing Dusty Boots recommended I don't use the hair spray but the new grips felt fairly tight and I figured I should be ok with it.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
+1 on the hairspray with heated grips. 2 seasons so far since they were installed. no problems with grips moving.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Just had my Heated hand grip come off tonight in the shop. Checked out the problem on this site and found the solution.....again. This site is GREAT!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
update promised??? Missed????

Thanks for the info fellas...I will be sure to let you all know how it turns out.
How'd it turn out? Good thing we haven't been holding our breath, eh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.