Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So my 2000Se main headlights don't go on until I pull the reverse lever, and pressing the starter buttton to actually go in reverse does nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Sounding like a bad ground. I don't have a 2000 wiring diagram. Maybe someone else does..

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I've had some headlight problems that turned out to be a dirty hi/lo switch and a dirty starter button. I have also had dirty buttons for my cruise and radio controls.

John

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

How can that happen when your profile shows you don't even have a Goldwing, Just kidding.:cheeky1:

Fuse 12 would be the first place to look for the headlights. Also like John wrote, it could be the start switch.
On the reverse itself, it is quite complicated, does the reverse light come on?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Oddy wrote:
So my 2000Se main headlights don't go on until I pull the reverse lever, and pressing the starter button to actually go in reverse does nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
The reverse lever switch has three wires:

1. Black/white wire goes to the neutral light on the dash. (no problem)

2. Brown/white wire goes to the # 9 (reverse/start) 5-amp fuse.

The # 9 5-amp fuse feeds the # 12 5-amp fuse (in the relay box).

The # 12 5-amp fuse feeds the starter reverse switch.

Check the # 9 and # 12 fuses.....

Check the starter/reverse switch....

Check the reverse lever switch....

3. White/Blue wire goes to the Reverse Diode Assembly.

The Reverse Diode Assembly has four wires:

1. White/Blue wire connects to the reverse lever switch ( # 3 above).

2. Light Green/Red wire connects to the gear position switch and ignition control
module.

3. Light Green wire connects to the neutral light bulb on the dash.

4. Blue/White wire connects to the reverse/starter switch and the dimmer switch.

Check the Reverse Diode Assembly.

The dimmer switch triggers the # 4 and # 8 high and low beam relays.

Hope this helps some...............

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the reverse light comes on when I pull the lever. We checked the bright/dim switch and it was fine. I'm new to Goldwings. The starter switch seems "touchy" in that when I first press it, there's just kind of a click, then I release it a hair and the starter kicks in and the motor starts right up.Everything seems to run fine. It's just that the main headlights do not go on until I pull the reverse lever. (Found that out by accident) So I don't think any fuses are blown, but I suspect a wire is crossed or somebody who didn't know what they were doing was mucking around with it. Shame on me, I just bought it, and should have looked it over better. My introduction to Goldwings hasn't been a pleasant experience, but that's my fault. Again, thanks for the replies. My son-in-law is a mechanic so I'll give him the wiring descrption from above and see if he can follow it.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem. Just unscrew the starter switch (on the handlebar) ,spray lubricate it with an electric contact aerosol and your problem should be solved.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
I had the same problem. Just unscrew the starter switch (on the handlebar) ,spray lubricate it with an electric contact aerosol and your problem should be solved.
Sometimes this will work, other times not. Just depends on how worn the starter switch is. In my case, no amount of cleaning (with lubricate or otherwise) would repair it. The starter/reverse switch was just worn out. I replaced the right handlebar switch cluster.

Not a bad job, just takes a little time.

Hope the cleaning works for him.........It's definitely worth a try.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
I've had some headlight problems that turned out to be a dirty hi/lo switch and a dirty starter button. I have also had dirty buttons for my cruise and radio controls.

John
How did you clean the switches? I just had a problem with the hi/lo switch. My low beams would not go on. Of course, I tried bulbs and fuses before getting to the hi/lo switch, so I spent a lot of useless time on diagnosis. To fix the hi/lo switch, I didn't open anything up, just sprayed contact cleaner on the switch from the outside and exercised the switch. Is this enough? Do you think it would also work on the right side? Opinion?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

Oddy, the headlight works off a different circuit when in reverse, the headlight fuse (12) and start/reverse switch are bypassed. From your description of the start switch acting weird leads me to think that is where the problem is.

SailorKane, You won't do much good trying to clean the switches from the outside. It may do a little good and just exercising it may have been what made it work.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I cleaned mine by squirting WD-40 behind the button. At the end of the season I will take the clusters off and do it right.

I would give the start button a close look!

John

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the replies, I hope to have another look at it tonight. Certainly the start/reverse switch seems to be aprime suspect right now.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

My son-in-law took the whole starter switch assembly apart last night, and we cleaned the switch with WD-40. The headlights work now, and the switch itself seems more "normal" to me, just press it and the bike fires up.No click or playing with the button. Since it only has 17,000 miles I doubt the switch was worn out, just gunked up somehow.

Strangely, the reverse light didn't go on after pulling the reverse lever (itused to) and reverse still does not work. But we'll continue to trouble shoot. Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I dunno, maybe part of the Reverse issue was me, but it is working fine now. Took a 150 mile ride on some nice roads in Wisconsin yesterday, and everything is working great. What a comfortable bike. Again. thanks to all who responded, you really helped me out. Now I'll head over to the forum where the talk is about riding and events!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.