Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any help with not getting any diagnostic LEDs on my 86 Sei ecu when the ignition is turned on. Bike will not start but has ran OK in the past. So far have checked all the fuses, relays, battery conections, etc with no luck! Bud

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Check fuse #9 for power. If no power, check the secondary inline fuse (dogbone) behind the starter relay/solenoid. #9 provides power to the CFI relay and the ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check fuse #9 for power. If no power, check the secondary inline fuse (dogbone) behind the starter relay/solenoid. #9 provides power to the CFI relay and the ECU.
Checked all the fuses & #9 shows not blown. The Dogbone fuse behind the starter switch appears to not to be broken but I haven't acually removed it to test for sure. I will give that a try when get back to it later this week. The Bike is over at a friends house to work on it as he has a air lift. Bud

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Here is a link to my thread about the no spark problem I had with my LTD

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/396713-no-spark-gl1200ltd-6.html.

My problem was caused by a broken yellow wire with a red stripe between the starter relay and the ECU. But my LEDs all came on when the switch was turned on, then went off, which is normal. The LEDs do not stay on. Have someone else turn the ignition switch on while you look at the LEDs. If they do not come on at all, then you either have no power to the ECU, or the ECU itself is bad. Even if the fuses are good, there could still be a bad connection somewhere in all that wiring. I just used a multimeter and many, many hours to find it. The amount of wiring on one of these bikes is ridiculous. I've never before owned a bike with 1/4 this much wire.

This from glhonda is worth keeping in mind when working with electronic components like the ECU. "Anytime you are dealing with a computer control system, you need to verify the ecm has power, ground and the proper inputs.
The ecm didn't see the start signal, so it didn't fire the coils, and I suspect it didn't pulse the injectors either.
Since the start signal is NOT a self diagnostic item, the ecm wouldn't throw a code"

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
the dogbone fuses are notorius for appearing ok but not functional,best thing u can do is replace both dogbones with 30 amp ato fuseholders and doing the stator,regulator and solenoid hardwire mods,anything less will result in a future breakdown
i would expect that your secondary 30 amp dogbone has a problem

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Before condemning the ECU, make absolutely certain it has power and a ground. I made a serious judgmental error, and was considering replacing the ECU before I had checked everything else. I started looking again when I saw the price of those things on eBay. But mine was getting power, as the LEDs came on with the ignition switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.