Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I knew there would be one or two surprises during this job!:shock: I removed the lower fairings, Seat, False tank, radiator, and the timing belt covers. Belts weren't terrible but needed changing (73K on the odometer-and no idea what the last guy did)

In my last post I predicted a surprise - the main bolt has no arrow on it just the number 10. The side gears do say R and L and up.

Question - how do I know which way is up?

I ordered new gaskets, upper and lower hoses + clamps and am in the process of using POR PC Glisten on the covers (thanks Philsand)- which takes several days to "cure" according to the instructions -so I am not in a big hurry - 4-6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow :(

Thanks for your help in the past and some help here would be great! :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

What model Goldwing is it? If it's a GL1100 or 1200 there is a plug on the back upper part of the engine (not sure about the gl1000). If you've lost the position of the crankshaft pulley (your post isn't very clear what the problem is but I think that's what happened), you can recover it by removing the plug and lining up the T mark. Most of us mark the centre pulley before pulling the beltswith tippex or white paint where itmeets the split in the crankcases, it saves headaches lateron.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
In my last post I predicted a surprise - the main bolt has no arrow on it just the number 10. The side gears do say R and L and up.

Question - how do I know which way is up?

I ordered new gaskets, upper and lower hoses + clamps and am in the process of using POR PC Glisten on the covers (thanks Philsand)- which takes several days to "cure" according to the instructions -so I am not in a big hurry - 4-6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow :(

Thanks for your help in the past and some help here would be great! :D

Mike
The UP should be right side up and at the 9 and 3 o'clock position. If you haven't turned the crankshaft, mark it and the case so you have are reference. If you have moved the crankshaft with the belts off, Browan's advice is the way to go to get it back.

If you haven't removed the belts, it doesn't really matter where the pulleys are, just mark them with paint or other indelible mark and the case adjacent to them, slack off the tensioners, replace the belts and tensioners and verify that the pulleys still are on the marks you made. The book calls for 4.4lbs to deflect the belt 1/4"on the long span. It's better to err on the slightly loose side than too tight which will cause the belts to make squeaking or whistling noises when running.Turn the crank with a ratchet and socket (in the direction that pulls the belts into the crank pulley on the side AWAY from the tensioners), a couple turns and recheck that the marks come back where they were when you started. If they are half a tooth or so off, it's no big deal, that may be as close as you can get due to differences in the belts and stretching of the old belts. Since you pulled the engine through you know that there won't be a disaster.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

All you really need to do is mark the cam pully's with the back of the timing covers so you have a refrance mark to line up with. Mark the crank pully at the same time. Now with out turning anything take off the old belts and slide on the new ones.

BEFORE you turn it over by hand a few times make sure the marks still line up. If they do turn it over by hand at least 2 revolutions. If it turns smooth fire it up!!! If it does not turn dont force it stop and come back here. Getting everything back intime is easy but takes a little time. Explaining it takes some time also.

Pat

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am sorry I didn't mention it is an 1100 interstate 1982. Talked to my brother in law he said pretty much the same thing - 3 and 9 on the outside gears and I should be OK. I have not taken the old belts off or moved anything - just removed the covers and are polishing them up (mine are chrome). I need to wait a few days for the hose/clamps to arriveso I am taking it slow. Thanks for the advice. I never feel along as long as I know the forum is there! :)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

While you have to covers off, take the opportubnity to line up the pulleys and put a paint mark on the centre one (which has no line-up marks). That will save guesswork or trying to peer into that T mark at the back of the engine later. When you pull the belts, usually one of the cam pulleys springs off it's mark by a few teeth.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You are spot on - The gear turned about a quarter rotation. I had marked both sides and the center, so all I did was put a wrench on it lined it up and slipped the belt on. The advice you guys give is invaluable :):):):)

Thanks

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.