Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some help please. My 1998 GL 1500 SE has decided to take a nap. I have no neutral light, consequently it will not turn over. I do have a clicking noise when I push the starter button. I think it is the relay on left side of bike. I have swapped some of them around and I think it is good. I've checked the fuses. All good. I keep the battery on a maintainer and checked it, it's good. Trying to check relay on the right side of bike and reading searches on here. But not sure if this would keep the neutral light OFF ??? Where else should I begin to look ? All help is appreciated. :welc:
Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Try moving the reverse lever up into reverse and back a few times and see if they does anything. Will it start with the clutch pulled in?

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried reverse lever previously, no help . And no, it will not start with clutch pulled in.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Previous to the issue did the bike start every time with the clutch pulled in. The clutch start has been known to have issues. Also prior to this have you had issues getting the light on? Kind of touchy?
I would start with either the fuse or reverse switch. Just moving it does not mean it is working of course. Get in there with a test light. Both wires of the reverse switch must have power with the key on. (BLK/WH and BRN/WH) If both wires do not have power check the fuse. Or check the fuse first then to the reverse switch if the fuse is good. Up to you. :)

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redwing52, NO issues ever with either the clutch or the reverse or even the light. Its been great up until now. All fuses in the fuse block are good. unless there are some others I am unaware of. Next I will be getting in with a test light or multimeter and checking power to these various switches. I pulled the two relays beside the battery. Can I swap them around to check them?

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dennis, I have been working that switch for 247 times.....Still no luck....lol

·
Administrator
22,303 Posts
Dennie,
He mentioned that the bike has no neutral light. That would not be associated with the start button. When you talk about the relays are you talking cube relays or start relays? (Solenoids)

Well, Mikey. I'm not talking about relays, just suggesting that a person should make sure a problem isn't a dirty button before they start taking the bike apart and getting themselves into real trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Redwing52, NO issues ever with either the clutch or the reverse or even the light. Its been great up until now. All fuses in the fuse block are good. unless there are some others I am unaware of. Next I will be getting in with a test light or multimeter and checking power to these various switches. I pulled the two relays beside the battery. Can I swap them around to check them?
I have enclosed a schematic with a rather crude drawing I added. You can see how the neutral light is wired. Should be easier than the hard to read spaghetti schematic. Get the light working and I bet the bike runs. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Dennis,
OOps, only part of that message was for you. Not the part about the relays etc. I'm just saying the start switch has nothing to do with the neutral light not coming on. My best guess is the reverse lever switch, reverse relay switch or the reverse switch or associated wiring. I agree to start with the easy stuff first but I can't imagine it is the start switch. No association between the start switch and neutral light. The things I list would account for no start in neural AND no start with clutch in.
I'll go edit my mistake to you. :)

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
When you talk about the relays are you talking cube relays or start relays? (Solenoids)

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I am calling the relays beside fuse box. I have also pulled the two (relays????) to the left of the battery . Is there anyway to check if they are good.
I am going to start checking the switch behind the Reverse first.

When you talk about the relays are you talking cube relays or start relays? (Solenoids)

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
OK, I am calling the relays beside fuse box. I have also pulled the two (relays????) to the left of the battery . Is there anyway to check if they are good.
I am going to start checking the switch behind the Reverse first.
That is where I would start. You should have power on two of the three wires. Next I would check the relay under the seat for power at the Black/Brn wire with the key on and holding start button. There should be no power on that wire. Should be grounded. Don't be confused. The bias created by the diode might make the test light glow dim. Multimeter might be a better choice here or test with the alligator clip on the test light connected to hot. The test light should glow then

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Try sliding the rubber cover on the reverse lever off.. Once off you should be able to see the reverse mechanism. Spray a little CRC Electric Cleaner (Available at Wal Mart, or auto parts store) onto switch area. Work the lever up and down several times. See if that brings neutral light on.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I can’t help but thinking it’s still the battery. How did you check it? While it was on the bike and hit the start button?

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
When checking the battery, you should get 14v. (That is ideal). Your wing might torn over at 12v. But anything under that will most likely just not enough to roll it over.

Have you tried starting it with the charger on the battery? I may be going down the wrong path here, but it’s worth giving it a shot.

·
big PIA
1,429 Posts
My battery is starting to get weak, when I go to start the battery is at 11.7 or 11.8 when I turn key on now, drops to 10.5 to 10.8 when cranking. Starts immediately tho, is an agm battery that was in bike when I bought it last summer. I will probably buy a new battery this summer as long as it lasts that long. I do use the maintainer to keep it full charged

1 - 20 of 32 Posts