Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just for giggles, I looked at my investments last night; bottom line end of year. Basically, everything has lost 33-50% and this is with brand name investment firms. The good news is that I didn't invest with Madoff and lose 100%. Haha.

When can I buy a new 'wing? Who knows. I'll have to work until I drop, probably. Still have college expenses too.

To get back to where you were, after a 50% loss, consider the "rule of 72" to find number of years to double. Example 6 YEARS AT 12% INTEREST. Just to break even at 3% (current IRA CD), it will take 24 years. I won’t be able to ride a ‘wing in 24 years. Haha again.

[align=center]

[align=center]Rate[/align]

[align=center]Actual Years[/align]

[align=center]Rule of 72[/align]

[align=center]Rule of 70[/align]

[align=center]Rule of 69.3[/align]

[align=center]E-M rule[/align]

[align=center]0.25%[/align]

[align=center]277.605[/align]

[align=center]288.000[/align]

[align=center]280.000[/align]

[align=center]277.200[/align]

[align=center]277.547[/align]

[align=center]0.5%[/align]

[align=center]138.976[/align]

[align=center]144.000[/align]

[align=center]140.000[/align]

[align=center]138.600[/align]

[align=center]138.947[/align]

[align=center]1%[/align]

[align=center]69.661[/align]

[align=center]72.000[/align]

[align=center]70.000[/align]

[align=center]69.300[/align]

[align=center]69.648[/align]

[align=center]2%[/align]

[align=center]35.003[/align]

[align=center]36.000[/align]

[align=center]35.000[/align]

[align=center]34.650[/align]

[align=center]35.000[/align]

[align=center]3%[/align]

[align=center]23.450[/align]

[align=center]24.000[/align]

[align=center]23.333[/align]

[align=center]23.100[/align]

[align=center]23.452[/align]

[align=center]4%[/align]

[align=center]17.673[/align]

[align=center]18.000[/align]

[align=center]17.500[/align]

[align=center]17.325[/align]

[align=center]17.679[/align]

[align=center]5%[/align]

[align=center]14.207[/align]

[align=center]14.400[/align]

[align=center]14.000[/align]

[align=center]13.860[/align]

[align=center]14.215[/align]

[align=center]6%[/align]

[align=center]11.896[/align]

[align=center]12.000[/align]

[align=center]11.667[/align]

[align=center]11.550[/align]

[align=center]11.907[/align]

[align=center]7%[/align]

[align=center]10.245[/align]

[align=center]10.286[/align]

[align=center]10.000[/align]

[align=center]9.900[/align]

[align=center]10.259[/align]

[align=center]8%[/align]

[align=center]9.006[/align]

[align=center]9.000[/align]

[align=center]8.750[/align]

[align=center]8.663[/align]

[align=center]9.023[/align]

[align=center]9%[/align]

[align=center]8.043[/align]

[align=center]8.000[/align]

[align=center]7.778[/align]

[align=center]7.700[/align]

[align=center]8.062[/align]

[align=center]10%[/align]

[align=center]7.273[/align]

[align=center]7.200[/align]

[align=center]7.000[/align]

[align=center]6.930[/align]

[align=center]7.295[/align]

[align=center]11%[/align]

[align=center]6.642[/align]

[align=center]6.545[/align]

[align=center]6.364[/align]

[align=center]6.300[/align]

[align=center]6.667[/align]

[align=center]12%[/align]

[align=center]6.116[/align]

[align=center]6.000[/align]

[align=center]5.833[/align]

[align=center]5.775[/align]

[align=center]6.144[/align]

[align=center]15%[/align]

[align=center]4.959[/align]

[align=center]4.800[/align]

[align=center]4.667[/align]

[align=center]4.620[/align]

[align=center]4.995[/align]

[align=center]18%[/align]

[align=center]4.188[/align]

[align=center]4.000[/align]

[align=center]3.889[/align]

[align=center]3.850[/align]

[align=center]4.231[/align]

[align=center]20%[/align]

[align=center]3.802[/align]

[align=center]3.600[/align]

[align=center]3.500[/align]

[align=center]3.465[/align]

[align=center]3.850[/align]

[align=center]25%[/align]

[align=center]3.106[/align]

[align=center]2.880[/align]

[align=center]2.800[/align]

[align=center]2.772[/align]

[align=center]3.168[/align]

[align=center]30%[/align]

[align=center]2.642[/align]

[align=center]2.400[/align]

[align=center]2.333[/align]

[align=center]2.310[/align]

[align=center]2.718[/align]

[align=center]40%[/align]

[align=center]2.060[/align]

[align=center]1.800[/align]

[align=center]1.750[/align]

[align=center]1.733[/align]

[align=center]2.166[/align]

[align=center]50%[/align]

[align=center]1.710[/align]

[align=center]1.440[/align]

[align=center]1.400[/align]

[align=center]1.386[/align]

[align=center]1.848[/align]

[align=center]60%[/align]

[align=center]1.475[/align]

[align=center]1.200[/align]

[align=center]1.167[/align]

[align=center]1.155[/align]

[align=center]1.650[/align][/align]

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Yea, I was planning on retiring in a little under 7 years but not now, I guess me 84 Interstate will have to do for mny years to come.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

No where you are at. I could have retired a few years ago, thought I would just make it nicer by staying longer, but now I'm looking at least 5 more years. I lost about 40%.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Yea I'm in the same boat. Before the last downturn I had plans at retiring at 55. Then when the Tech Bubble burst I figured I could retire at 61. Now it will be sometime after I reach 64. The good thing is that my company has a contract through 2017 so I should have a good paying job unless I screw it up.

I still plan on retiring at 64 even if it is with less per month than I wanted. The house will be payed off by that point.

I guess since the wife has had the last 20+ years off it is time she worked and I took the next 20 years off..

:cool:

Henry

·
Premium Member
62,885 Posts
imported post

Sandcastcb750
You're about spot on with your figures.. When I retired in 2000,2001 was another stock blow out year.. I couldn't have invested at a worse time..
Lost about 1/2.. Our investment broker was getting us an up and down 15 to 18% return.. After taking out living expenses and broker fees, it's taken us until the end of 07 to get back to even.. I wanted to sell off all stock Jan of o8 but waited.. When it started to fall I didn't think it would be this bad.. Now we're like all else 40 to 50% off and starting over again.......

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Banckruptcy is in my near future. My wing will have to last alot longer than expected.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'll probably have to work the rest of my life.

I've decided that if Nancy passes before me, my retirement will be in a Federal camp. I'm just going to go into a post office with a brick, act crazy and hold it up..

That way they can send me to one of those tennis racket federal retirement homes you always see the congressmen and senators go to. Three hots and a cot.

You know, like Martha Stewart did. :baffled:

It was a GOOD THING!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Yea me to, retired 1998 early age 52 good company pension invested heavily in hi-tech making $100's daily. Lost my butt like everyone else. Invested the rest in mutual funds now its on the bottom. Kept looking for the recovery that never came. Like a lot of other people, the dream is gone. Total lost about 65%

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:gunhead:Don't feel bad boys, I'm busted! My Dept. of public saftey ret. is vapor. I lost it all in investments. I will work till Barb finds me on the floor of the shop. Oh well. I still have a warm dry bed with a roof over it, and can pay my bills. I've already mentioned selling the trike to my wife, and she said"NO way!" I love that woman!:cool: jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I'll be able to retire when the corner shows up with the van to haul me away!:(

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:shock:You know, why on earth would you want to re tire yourself. Why don't they call it what it is......... end of productive life vegitation!!!!!:cheeky1::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

watching the new Burn Notice show.......I am a junkie for that show plus 24 and NCIS:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

I'm setting here like a lot of folks at age 65 and retirement coming up come March 7th for me but actually turning in my retirement papers??? dunno now.

Same stock story you guys have, down around 50% and that on totally safe investments :baffled: that pay dividends. Umm, most of them have stopped their dividend payments.

Sell 'em off? Nope, that just locks in a guaranteed loss. Now, if Motley Fool can lock me in on something really hot, and recommend to me "which one" of the passel of their recommendations I own is now good to sell :action:, then I will trade some of them for a new version that is "surely hot to trot" and erase all this pain. :D

Only good side to my story right now is come April 9th, my Social Security check starts. Add that to my paycheck will help me pay down this dern house faster.

·
Premium Member
62,885 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm setting here like a lot of folks at age 65 and retirement coming up come March 7th for me but actually turning in my retirement papers??? dunno now.

Same stock story you guys have, down around 50% and that on totally safe investments :baffled: that pay dividends. Umm, most of them have stopped their dividend payments.

Sell 'em off? Nope, that just locks in a guaranteed loss. Now, if Motley Fool can lock me in on something really hot, and recommend to me "which one" of the passel of their recommendations I own is now good to sell :action:, then I will trade some of them for a new version that is "surely hot to trot" and erase all this pain. :D

Only good side to my story right now is come April 9th, my Social Security check starts. Add that to my paycheck will help me pay down this dern house faster.
I think there's some good buys out there right now.. Get a hold of a good stock man and let him guide you.. Myself, I'm going with the banks.. I think they'll recover the fastest.. You got to figure there will be a few bumps along the way...

One of two things are going to happen, it's going to start upward or the whole thingwill goin the tank and if that happen it won't make any difference whether you bought in or not.......

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Just to break up all this "doom and gloom", the company my wife and I had worked at for 12 years decided to downsize in 2006. I started to freak, but then crunched the numbers for the package they were offering. The wife and I figured out that we could take the cash and liquidate our 401(k)s and be debt free. I mean, no mortgage, no car payment, no credit card bill.

My friend, the tax accountant, told me I was nuts.:gunhead:

2 months ago, he told me I was "some kind of freakin' financial genius"!:cheeky1:

It was blind luck and non traditional thinking. Would most people trade 11 years of retirement savings (doing quite well at the time in T.Rowe Price)for paying off 20 years worth of mortgage? We did. Hardest decision I ever made, but it paid off. But alas, we have no retirement savings...and I'm OK with that.

I figured out that you don't need to make more and more money, you need to have less and less debt.

I tell you this, not to gloat about how good it all worked out for me, but to show that sometimes a bad situation can turn out OK. Remember, this story started out with both my wife and I losing the only jobs we have had since being adults and ended up with us starting new careers and being debt free.

Hang in there folks. Its bound to get better...right?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I guess I'm doing OK,... I think, therefore I am.

I spent most of mine on NASSIR #1 so I now have little. Does that mean I have little to loose? Or do I have less to loose than most others don't? :stumped:

Anyway you look at it, just spend it all just before 12-12-2012.

Ihope Mama Honda's next Wing recreation isn't named... Nibiru GL-2012 (that's 2012 cc's) That be one bad oman.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

This isn't the first downturn we've had, things were bad in the recession of '87, house prices tumbled where I lived, unemployment spiked, prices of food and necessities shot up and the stock market went down. Inflation was high so you money went nowhere. These kinds of things are cyclic and I'm positive we'll see improvement within three or four years as long as the government doesn't meddle too much. What's scaring me right now is all the money they are spending on these bailouts. That will inevitably lead to inflation which will extend the downturn. With normal historic returns in the stock market of around 10% once things start to return to normal it will take about seven years to recover a 50% loss. The main thing now is to avoid going deeper in the hole. Credit card interest is a killer that can sink anyone.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

What kills me is.. the jerks that are at the root of the problem,are walking around free. If any of us working folks here on the forum, or anywhere else pulled these shinannigans, we'd be in prison!Sorry,but it's true.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.