Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 Goldwing Interstate 1200, I turn the key on and nothing no lights no power. I though the battery might be dead but the radio works when I turn it on. Just no power any where else. Thanks for any help. James

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

places to check: the doggonedogbone fuse, your ignition switch might be bad, while you are at it, lots of old connections in these "olde-wings"

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just checked the fuse down at the battery it looked ok. Are there any other main fuses. Thanks James

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I just called the Honda dealer if it is the switch they dont make them any more and they dont have anything that would work any way of checking to see if it is bad. Thanks James

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

You should be able to get an ignition switch from honda direct if you really need one. But I would be sure what my problem is before buying parts. How long since the bike was running?
I would take off the battery connections, clean them, give the battery a good charge, and see if that does anything first. The ignition switch will usually show signs before going completely out, try wiggling the key to see if it contacts.

:12red:
Dean

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I had a similar issue on my 84 1200A. It ended up being the ignition switch. there was a recall for this problem. The bike would just quit without warning. All fuses were good. It got progressively worse, to the point I could not get the bike to start unless the key was in the "right spot" on the contacts. If you pursue this to try and get a replacement part thru the recall you will need your frame number to see if you are eligible. Mine was not. I went to 2 different dealers and they were not very helpful. Needless to say, I just bought the replacement ($100) and have had no problems since. To get at the switch it is easiest to remove the headlight assy and windshield. While you are at it clean all the contacts on the connectors back there too. Worth the extra effort and not too difficult or time consuming.

Goodluck,

Toolman

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well I just took the glass fuse out back there beside the battery and tested the link when I turn the switch on theres power going there. Is that the dogbone fuse your talking about. Or is there a nother fuse that I'm missing. Thanks for all the help James

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same problem with my '83 Aspy. The ignition switch was the culprit. I sprayed the everliving s*&t out of the switch, through the key slot without removing the switch. The switch came back to life. I was able to find a NOS ignition switch that I am keeping ready, but the old one is still working after the WD-40 bath. I took an ignition switch apart and they really are built well. A bath after 25 years worked!

Good Luck.

:cool:

Tim

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Remove fuse. Put a meter lead on each end of the fuse. Set to Rx1 and if needle moves to far right the fuse is good. If it does not move the fuse is bad. Since you have power to the radio I am leaning towards the ignition switch. Try turning the key to the "high" spot on the contacts before it goes all the way to the run position. If you go slow enough the headlight should come on or blink. This would indicate the contact inside the switch is worn or burnt enough to stop the juice from flowing. These were the symptoms I had, once I understood what was happening it made sense. This was also the basis for the ignition switch recall. Why my bike was not covered I do not know but it is worth a try and other members have had sucess getting Honda to replace the switch. This happened to me 2 yrs ago. I can check to see if I still have recall info and can forward to you if you like so you can see if your bike is covered.

Toolman

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks I can use the help. I put a light tester back there at the glass fuse contacts beside the battery and turned the switch on and I had power there. Thanks James

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok the dogbone fuse was shot replaced it with a inline fuse showing power between where the dogbone was with the switch on. Could it be the solenoid itself and how do you check them. Thanks for all the help James

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yes I have power kept checking everything looked good, I changed the inline fuse with a new one turned out the new fuse was bad. Thanks for all your help James:cool:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I'm really not sure, today I took a few connecters loose to clean them they looked bad. The dogbone fuse fell into about four pieces when I took it loose. The ground wire was really bad getting ready to change it out. Thanks for all the help James

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.