Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Using a multi-meter check the battery voltage. Anything less than 10v usually wont power up the electrical components.

Check the main fuse, usually just downstream from the battery.
Check ALL the fuses and relays and replace any bad ones.

As much "background/history" with this bike would be very helpful for us to know too.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I have 85 lined that was give to me I have no power at all battery is good . I am new to the Goldwing group
Check the flat 30 amp dogbane fuse mounted to the top side of starter relay beside the battery, it's under a cover. The fuse is metal, the housing holding it is plastic, it's attached by two screws, it can crack or break from differing rates of expansion during heat / cool cycles of bike. Once the bike is started, it'll run without that fuse, but without that fuse, there is no power to the ignition switch to trip the relay with when start button is hit. If found "bad", you can use a HD fuse holder, two ring terminals, and a 30 amp auto fuse in place of it.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
30 amp dog-bone fuse I meant to say above. I think the sight changed the second o to an a?

Look in my picture, it's that S shape with 30 notation in shaded start relay box, it protects bike wiring from battery voltage in case of shorts. As you can see, it is not in line between the voltage regulator / rectifier and bike when running, but if blown or cracked, bike will show no signs of electrical power if not running.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
First off Welcome to the Site!! Next, there's a pic attached that might help a bit so Let's start!! First ignore for right now what Mr. Fingers are holding as that is a 30amp inline fuse holder I installed to bypass the Main 30amp Dogbone fuse located to the left of Mr. Thumb!! Pop the 30amp Fuse cover open and check for voltage on either side of the fuse. Your problem might be as simple as the fuse is cracked and needs replacement, or, those two red, red/white wires are burn't and you need to go with an lnline fuse setup like is shown in the pic!!

Let us know what you find out and we'll go from there..

BTW, there is a second 30amp inline dogbone located behind the starter solenoid but lets troubleshoot the main one first!!
003_1024x768.jpg

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
the battery needs to read a minimum of 12.5 at rest.
If definitely MUST hold a minimum of 10.5ish while cranking the starter, or the engine will NOT start. The ECM refuses to pulse the coils at low voltages.

Others have already mentioned the testing methods.

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
As all have said. If the fuse that plugs in to the relay (solenoid) is bad you get nothing. The plug in the solenoid also has a reputation of melting and if it melts you can get nothing as well.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Not on an 1100, or a 1200 except LTD/SEI. They only have the one main fuse.
Correct!! I was going by the information listed in the members name and information listed in the initial post that we are dealing with an 1985 Limited Edition.. NOT an 1100 or 1200 Interstate or Aspencade…….. The Sub Main 30amp fuse covers extra stuff like the CFI, Cruise, etc.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
There was a time when you could see the bike info in the user profile. I guess that wasn't compliant with modern standards.

🦴 fuse. Is this the modern way to do things?

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
That will be returned in one of the weekly updates, we are currently working on the base version of the software.
I hope you are not holding your breath.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts