Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1984 GL1200
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1984 Honda goldwing gl1200. No power to the instrument instrument cluster no power to start button. Touch starter relay Bike wants to go but no go. Was told it was the ECU. I don't know how to fix any suggestions.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What model? How long has it been since you last rode it?
What part of the country are you in?

The dash could be as simple as a dirty fuse and the no start is most likely a dirty start switch.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
Check the fuses. No it is not the ECU, that's the first thing people who know nothing want to change.

Reactions: Road Ranger

·
Honda Guru
2,086 Posts
My 88 1500 had a similar problem with the starter button. I found the inside button was broken and was not making contact unless pushed very hard. My switch assy in no longer available from Honda so repair was the o Lu option. I disassembled the switch and found the button base was broken. A little patience and JB Weld and the switch works perfect. It’s worth looking into on your bike!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,534 Posts
Check the main fuse which is located on the starter solenoid in the form of a 30amp dogbone shaped fuse. You should be able to geta new one at the auto parts store. Also check the two red-red/white wires going into the top of the solenoid connector for signs of getting hot or burning.. One feeds a charging voltage into the battery and the other feeds the electrical system while the bike is running..

Let us know what you find...

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts