Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I normally can run 200 miles and have some left over on my 1500.
Not today!
Dang I hate not having a REAL reserve I can switch over to when out of gas!

I just got REALLY LUCKY today.

I'm sitting there talking to wife on her works parking lot.
No, I don't have my cell phone with me. She doesn't want to do anything, just head home after going to post office.
OK I say, you go to post office and I'll meet you at home, I have to go get gas before i head home though.

We leave, she goes one way, I go the other.
About 5 miles or about I guess to gas station.
I get stuck at traffic light, running fine. Light turns green, Vrrooom, blagh.... soon as I start moving. Coast a little pop clutch, Vrroom blagh..... !!!
Kicked a couple times like riding a push scooter, got through intersection, rolling into Wal-mart drive down hill, pop clutch, Vrroom Blagh......
Lucky I was there, just a quick left turn and roll down hill to the gas pumps!

Sitting at pump and she takes 6.16gal to totally fill, only 196 miles on the clock!
Gas gauge still reads empty too soon, need to adjust, and the low fuel light never came on!

Glad I was there when I ran out, a few minutes earlier it would have been a kinda long walk, no place good to leave bike, and no gas can to carry anyway.
Wife gone and me without the cell phone!

Why I only got 196 miles on this tank, only 31.8mpg I don't know. I did do some riding against a head wind, but not that much or that bad I thought.
Last gas I bought was at SHELL, 87oct. at $3.09 south of Springfield MO.
Pump did not have the 10% Ethanol label either.
Being good name brand gas like SHELL I would expect better, but they were only $3.09 when everywhere else was about $3.19 for some reason?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I have noticed that as the weather gets cooler, my mileage has been dropping.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

You wasn't a boyscout was you Chromo? LOL. Just teasing. Weather and wind does make a big difference and so does the gas mix at the pump. And regardless of what it says at the pump about the mixture, do you really know for sure? I have to honestly admit, I ran out of gas this morning...in my driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Hey Chromo, you better get that Low Fuel light fixed or either start carrying your cell phone! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Hey Chromo, you better get that Low Fuel light fixed or either start carrying your cell phone! :cheeky1:
[align=left]
Better yet, carry around a 2 liter bottle of gas in the saddlebag. Uh...wait, thats probably abad idea. Hey I got it, buy a gas station with 24 hour tow service. [/align]

[align=center]:ROFL:[/align]

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

Kemoloney, I'm an eagle scout and currently a cub master,yet i almost ran out of gas yesterday as i am still new to my wing. After oil change and tire repair, i decided to go for a little ride, only expected a short trip and figured 3 bars were plenty. I headed out to Lake Mead out of Vegas, i was enjoying the ride( except about 7 or 8 mountain sheep where crossing the road as i came around a curve about 45 miles per hour, so hit the brakes and sqeazed between last 2, gave me a start), next i knew i was down to 1 bar and didn't think i could make it back so went on into Overton,Nv. and filled up. My plan had been to fill up on way home, next time I'll play it safe. Ended up coming home on I-15 in the dark, a little scary as this was also a first.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
Kemoloney, I'm an eagle scout and currently a cub master,yet i almost ran out of gas yesterday as i am still new to my wing. After oil change and tire repair, i decided to go for a little ride, only expected a short trip and figured 3 bars were plenty. I headed out to Lake Mead out of Vegas, i was enjoying the ride( except about 7 or 8 mountain sheep where crossing the road as i came around a curve about 45 miles per hour, so hit the brakes and sqeazed between last 2, gave me a start), next i knew i was down to 1 bar and didn't think i could make it back so went on into Overton,Nv. and filled up. My plan had been to fill up on way home, next time I'll play it safe. Ended up coming home on I-15 in the dark, a little scary as this was also a first.
Okay well you have a good excuse Saltmar. You're new to your wing and not yet sure what to expect. I was just teasing Chromo. I was a boyscout but never an Eaglescout. But always remembered the motto.

That's quite a story about the sheep though. You could have been wearing a new wool coat. But at least it would have been a soft landing. lol. Glad you're okay. Yeah I shake after having a close call on a bike. But I always get back on the saddle and ride into the sunset.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Get use to it. Thatstuff burns-up quick. I'm fillin'-up all the time.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Get a bottle and carry it with you...

http://sparefuel.net/

SPARE FUEL is the world’s first patented non-flammable gasoline
derivative. Although, it works like gasoline, it is not
gasoline. It contains no volatile butanes, pentane, hexanes or
heptanes, and is therefore safe to store in the trunk of your vehicle
and used as fuel additive in an emergency “out of gas” situation.

SPARE FUEL has an unlimited shelf life.

Yes I have used it (On the dirt bike out in the middle of nowhere)

Yes it's expensive...
Yes it's WORTH IT.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

I've run out of gas before, but never herded sheep with a motorcycle.

I was with a group whenone guy tried to slowly move through a bovine road block. The cattle just crowded in around him and he couldn't move. The cowboys finally moved the cattle off the road, save one calf who now liked the bike better than mama and followed Don for a while.

Alas, he couldn't keep up. :(

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

I always figure when it hits 185 miles, you better be looking for fuel. I figure on worst case every time, I don't like surprises.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I fill up at 150 miles. Habit. Usually takes almost 4 gallons of gas. Now with the weather being cooler, takes over 4.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Chromo .... the low level fuel sensor is an easy fix. It took me all of 30 minutes from turn off to drive away and cost me roughly $35 for the part.

Yes, the 1500 is harder on gas when it's cool/cold out.

The most I've ever managed to squeeze out of a tank full of fuel was this summer, returning fromthe1st leg of my trip, where I got 244 mi on 5.89US gal. (41.426 mpg @ 70mph)

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I find it's easier to keep the top half of the tank filled than the bottom half.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

dosent that just SUCK when it happens and you go man i just passed a gas station a few miles back i though i could make it

me... well its happend to me so many times i dont even post it, anymore when we stop i fuel up even if im at 1/4 tank, 1/2, or even 3/4

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have noticed my mpg going down since I replaced my rear tire. It may be just a coincidence, not sure, but I am watching the gas gauge closer now.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

The 1500 Interstate does NOT have a low fuel light sensor. Can one be installed?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

CBH wrote:
The 1500 Interstate does NOT have a low fuel light.
The Interstate is the 'Entry Level' model of the 1500Goldwings, lacking quite a few things that are either 'standard', or 'optional'on the Aspencades and SE models.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Told ya Chromo, it takes more torque from the engine to turn a bigger tire, more torque = less fuel mileage

Are you still running 2 cycle oil in your gas?? You were doing good with that for a while.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

I keep a cupla MSR fuel bottles with me when on the road. That gives my 60 oz (1/2 gallon±)- which is an extra 20 miles... 25 if I'm not trying to twist the throttle off.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.