Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1998 GL1500 last operated in November, stored in garage for 3 months. Tried getting it out for a ride in the nice weather today. Started it in neutral, warmed up great. All was well until I squeezed the clutch lever, which seemed to have unusually loose "tension", and when I attemted to shift into 1st, it bucked and stalled, like the clutch was not engaged.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up on the forum before, but I couldn't readily find a matching topic. It was just serviced and checked by the dealer's shop in the fall of 2008. This problem had not come up before.

My (absurd) response was to unscrew the elbow beneath the clutch lever, to see if there was a break in the clutch cable. But when the elbow was unthreaded, the cable was still connected into the lever housing, with tension, and I did not sense a break.

When I depress the clutch lever, it clicks at about the 1/3 to 1/2-way point of fully depressing. But there is no tension or resistance as I usually sense when it is working properly.

I am not familiar with the design of the switch or the mechanical properties in the clutch master cylinder, so I'm looking for some free advice before having the shop guys tow it and slap me with a big bill for a likely simple fix or part replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard.

Your 1500 doesn't have a clutch cable, it's hydraulic, so I'm not sure which tension cable you're referring to.
And your problemsounds like you justhave air in the lines, that's it. You can bleed the system yourself or you can pay your stealership to do it.

There's instructions on this forum if you'd care to try it yourself. It's not complicated, but a little time consuming and might take about an evening if you get lucky the first time out.

Also, check the fluid in the clutch reservoir on your left handlebar to make sure it's full. If it's low then use DOT4 brake fluid to top it off. If it doesn't help, then bleeding it would be the next step.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

And if bleeding doesn't solve it, then pop off your slave cylinder and clean that, then clutch reservoir and rebleed the system. Should solve it, if you parked it and it was fine.

(old hydraulic lines deteriorate and allow in air/moisture or allow fluid out over time)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that you have a leak in the hydraulicclutch system. Air doesn't just appear in a hydraulic system unless there's a leak, if the leak allows the fluid in the reservoir to get low enough the master will only pump air into the system. I'd refill the system, bleed it and watch the level in the master to make sure it's not dropping.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you, sorry if the mention of "tension" was confusing. What I should have said was that it normally takes a little harder squeeze of the clutch lever than what I experienced today -- no resistance at all. I may try the bleeding and cleaning solution as you suggest, and will look for the post that describes the process. But now I'm curious -- what is the cable that runs from the left handlebar (clutch lever side) through the dogleg elbow and then down into the fairing and out of sight? Peace and regards, Tom

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

On my 1200 it would be the choke cable.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, it's the choke cable on the 1500 too, a metal 90 degree elbow with a knurled nut holding it to the underside of the clutch perch.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

My 1500 has a hydraulic hose running from the clutch cylinder & the Choke cable running from underneath in a 90 degree elbow. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

OK , now i am confused :shock:, (not very difficult):cooldevil:do the 1500 have a clutch cable or not ?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

1500 do not have a clutch cable . but---they do have a choke cable .

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I'm sure a look at a parts chart will help clear your confusion. It would be pretty useless to try to bleed a "CABLE" :action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Exavid just just typo-ed when he said clutch. He meant choke.
Yep, he sure did!:blushing:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

My 85 1200 did this same thing. Got it out a few weekends ago and drove 30 miles or so and was worried I couldnt get home. Took cover off clutch reservior and sure enough it was VERY low. How it got this way I have no idea. There are no leaks that I can find. I added fluid and worked clutch. Seemed fine after that. Have not checked since. Will before I ride again.

CR

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Keep an eye on it, they can leak into the clutch housing and that doesn't show up externally. If the level keeps going down you may need a slave cylinder rebuild.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.