Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I first start her up before she gets warm I can activate and use Reverse as normal, however after she warms up a bit, I get no "R" light and no reverse. It appears to be electrical because the gear seems to engage. Any help??

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That's a weird one but I suspect your reverse switch cable needs just a touch of adjustment.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

He indicated the problem occurs after startup. Unless he has a kickstart on his Goldwing, I would say the starter works.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
He indicated the problem occurs after startup. Unless he has a kickstart on his Goldwing, I would say the starter works.
Jim, the starterdrives the reverse. I'm pretty sure that's what William is asking. Does the starter engage when in reverse.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You could also have a diode going thermally bad on you when it gets hot but I have no idea which one if it is one.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the reply's. I took Rudy's suggestion and checked cable adjustment and tweaked it a bit. I've got a full service manual and went according to the instructions in there. Reverse lever got pretty stiff after that but still seemed to operate fine. I greased the pivot points and cables. Reverse did work but then again it always has cold. I'll have to wait until I get a little time to test her out on a run. To answer William's question, when hot the starter will start the engine fine but no "R" light and no reverse action. Maybe the cables will correct it. I was leaning toward electrical because the gear does engage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.