Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my Gl1100 Aspencade...
The CB/Radio/Cass was working great,I have no sound now,all the units power up & everything works on the dash & also on the handlebar controls,I decided to change my screen,I had difficulty getting the 2 bolts loose from the chrome piece,they just kept turning,I got the rubber mat out & i used a hacksaw to cut bolt between old screen & back of that chrome piece that holds the screen,to get to the other end of bolt after cutting,I loosened the dash from inside the turn signals & loosened speakers & then pulled bolt out & I put that odd shape nut back in its socket,after refitting the screen,there is no sound from all the clarion units,have I moved something,the only wiring I touched was inside the turn signals,I did notice a white wire in the left & right turn signals & they were not connected to anything,at the end of the white wire is a rubber sleeve,I moved fuse holders around on the left side,so I could get my hand in.Would that white wire come from the amplifyer.

Speakers are working,I can hear the squelching as I turn the cb on.

Any help would be much appreciated......Thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I posted an answer to your first post over in the wanted/for sale threads.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, saw your response in the other thread. Can you get a pic of the wire and it's location and post it in here?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I got that Michael,the speakers are connected ok & the soldering is good as well,

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll take a few pics of it tomorrow & show you this wire,when I turn on the cb & put the volume up high,I can hear a radio station,but it is very faint,I would need to put my ear to the speaker to hear it,I don't have a proper cb antenna,only an FM antenna.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Is there no sound in the speakers AND in the headphones, or just in the speakers?

If there is sound in the headphones but NOT in the speakers, then you've got a problem either in the power amplifier, the wiring to the speakers, or the wiring harness of the power amplifier (power, and feed from radio and component terminal).

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I only have speakers,I don't have a headset,I must have moved something inside the front of the fairing....

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

You might want to check your solder joints for what we call a cold solder joint, as you moving the wiring around you could have broken a joint and not know it because it looks OK from your view. You never know. Also have you checked your antenna splitter under the seat for a good connection? Just a few thoughts. :)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I will check the solder joints,the splitter under the seat,would this effect the sound from the cassette player,the only little bit of sound is coming from the cb when it is turned on,so i know the speakers are ok,i have moved the mute & it is working,because it mutes the faint sound from the cb,there is one more thing that i did,i just remembered,it might not have anything to do with this problem,i disconnected the air pressure pump & took it out as there was a leak in the pump,i now have a valve to pump air into the forks manually.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The antenna splitter on the 1100's is under the cassette player in the left fairing pocket, not under the seat.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Michael,I'll take those pics this morning,today I am taking the Bike to Gorey Bikes,Wexford to get my carbs synced,valves adjusted & belts changed,so the bike will be away for a few days,I'll post pics later....

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Here are a couple of pics,second pic shows the white wire.....What are those two things in the first pic.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The first one with the mounting bracket showing is the cb, the other is the speaker amp. The white wire in question is unfamiliar to me. You may need to back trace it to it's source.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

On the end of that white wire is a rubbery type sleeve,could this be a connector,I think there is another white wire lying unconnected on the other side.maybe the both wires have popped out from behind the amplifyer or cb
The bike is in the work shop now getting a few things done,I'll come back to this thread when the bike is back home,thanks for all your inputs guys,we all have to be kind to these old ladies:)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How about an update on this. Has it been figured out and fixed yet?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

That white wire has broken off the indicator/sidelight.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
That white wire has broken off the indicator/sidelight.
:waving:It's not a turn signal wire or speaker wire. L & R speaker wires have factory connectors as shown in the pic and they come from the power amp. There is also a cable from the power amp that plugs into the component terminal. Those wires with sleeving on the end might before for something that a previous owner had on the bike. I looked inside my fairing and didn't see anything that looked like the wires that you described.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

White/grey with bullet connectors are speaker wires. I have the sister to your scooter and it eats so many fuses that I just carry replacements with me. Not your problem but the 2 amp in one of the three main "coffins" lights all of the dash and makes the controllers functions. The 5 amp in one of the other coffins is for the amp and I have had problems like you describe when I blow that one. Essentially signal without amplification. Like I said, mine just randomly blows fuses for no apparent reason. Also, as stated by others here, visual inspection will not work all the time. I have had them blow inside the metal cap on the end and the fuse break is not visible. dj

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.