Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going nuts here. I have been trying for days to figure out why I don't have spark on ANY cylinder. All the lights work when I turn the key on. The motor cranks fine.

What I have done so far:
Using the specs in the service manual:
I replaced the battery (and cleaned all connections)
I checked ohms on both sides of the coils. both are within specs.
I took apart and cleaned on/off switch.
I replaced the spark plugs.
I checked the pulse generator (ohms)and got nothing on the blue, blue/white wires. I got .334 on the yellow, yellow/white wires. The book says between 1100-1300 ohms. Because of the reading I got, I am not sure if the readings are accurate. Are they? In other words, if the pulse generator is bad, would it give a reading of (as an example) 5000 ohms and not .334 or no reading at all??

Also, there is a switch on the clutch lever that actuates when the lever is squeezed. Does that have anything to do with not having spark? I tried squeezing the clutch and cranking it but still no spark.

What am i missing here. I am at my wits end!
Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you
Bill

·
Registered
534 Posts
By nothing, do you mean zero or infinite (OL)? An open PG would read infinite, and a shorted one would read zero or close to it. Be sure you take your measurements with the PGs unplugged. You can also check from each wire to the case ground (should be infinite) If you don't trust your meter, check it against a resistor. You could even check a 27 watt brake light bulb (1156 or 1157) which should measure about 2.25 ohms on the bright filament.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Be sure you have the right specs. if you have a haynes or clymer manual don't trust it. I believe the 84 vs 85-87 were different ohm specs on the PGs. If 1 PG is bad it won't fire either coil.

·
Administrator
22,055 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

By "on/off switch" are you referring to the kill switch on the right handlebar?

There is a PDF factory manual somewhere on this site. You should be able to find it with a little searching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your replies. First off, when I say I got nothing, I meant "OL" or an open connection. Would a bad PG have and "OL" reading? Also, I did check the PG when it was unplugged.

As for the manual I have, it IS in fact the Hayes manual. No wonder I got it for free.

On/off switch I was referring to is the kill switch. Sorry for my novice explanations.

Do you have to have the clutch handle squeezed to get spark? I tried squeezing it then cranking the motor but still there was no spark.

Also, I noticed tonight that when I turn the ignition on and press the start button, I do not hear the fuel pump working. I unplugged the connector and applied power to it and it worked. Not sure if that is related.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Thank you guys for your replies. First off, when I say I got nothing, I meant "OL" or an open connection. Would a bad PG have and "OL" reading? Also, I did check the PG when it was unplugged.

As for the manual I have, it IS in fact the Hayes manual. No wonder I got it for free.

On/off switch I was referring to is the kill switch. Sorry for my novice explanations.

Do you have to have the clutch handle squeezed to get spark? I tried squeezing it then cranking the motor but still there was no spark.

Also, I noticed tonight that when I turn the ignition on and press the start button, I do not hear the fuel pump working. I unplugged the connector and applied power to it and it worked. Not sure if that is related.
First if you have OL and you are checking the right wires that is a problem. Seems like they should be 1200 ohms or so. Definitely not open. Are you checking resistance between the blue and blue/white wires? Then yellow and yellow/white wires?

As for the fuel pump. It only runs when the engine turns over or is running.

Clutch in or out has nothing to do with spark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you redwing52, Yes, I checked the pulse generator (ohms)and got "OL" on the blue, blue/white wires. I got .334 on the yellow, yellow/white wires.

As for the fuel pump, it did not run when I was cranking. Maybe it only runs when the motor is running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you John, I have the 85 1200 interstate. Is that the same as the "D" or "A" or??

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Thank you redwing52, Yes, I checked the pulse generator (ohms)and got "OL" on the blue, blue/white wires. I got .334 on the yellow, yellow/white wires.

As for the fuel pump, it did not run when I was cranking. Maybe it only runs when the motor is running.
The fuel pump works kind of goofy. Obviously it only works when it has power. Also it only runs when fuel pressure drops to a point where it needs to "kick in." Then it would click (pump) a few times to build pressure then wait again. I doubt it is a fuel issue at this point but the open needs to be figured out. Those bikes had a history of failing PG's.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts

The fuel pump will not run if there is no spark.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
That's really all you need to know. I found the 84 should be 1100-1300 ohms, did not find the spec for 85> but it really doesn't matter, open is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An UPDATE:
This morning I replaced the fuse on the relay next to the battery. I also pulled off the black/white wire from the coil. When I turn the ignition on, I get 12V. When I turn off the kill switch, I get 0V. I then turn on the kill switch and get 12V again. I am assuning by this that the ignition, relay, kill switch are good?? Yes? No? Still no spark!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Bryan. I have ordered the PG. But in the interim, I wanted to check/verify all the other things that have been suggested in this string. I was hoping to get lucky.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Thank you Bryan. I have ordered the PG. But in the interim, I wanted to check/verify all the other things that have been suggested in this string. I was hoping to get lucky.
[/QUOTEG] I suggest that you do not work on anything until you replace the known issues. One of our members said "if it isn't broke I will keep fixing it until it is." I am more familiar with "if it ain't broke don't fix it." :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts