Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what else to do checked all switches and relays also start a and b relays anyway to bypass the computer? Ran great when drove on a trailer when I bought it about three weeks ago

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
Pulling my own hair out learning the 1500 & all the tech stuff. Did you check the shut off switch on the handle bar? The kick stand has a switch, low oil sensor will also shut you down if it cannot read oil pressure.

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts
Don't know what else to do checked all switches and relays also start a and b relays anyway to bypass the computer? Ran great when drove on a trailer when I bought it about three weeks ago
Pulling my own hair out learning the 1500 & all the tech stuff. Did you check the shut off switch on the handle bar? The kick stand has a switch, low oil sensor will also shut you down if it cannot read oil pressure.
The "computer" is what makes it spark, no getting around that. The A & B relays would keep the starter from working, not cause it to not spark. Check if the cruise control light comes on when the ignition and the cruise switches are on.
Oil pressure does not shut down the ignition.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

If I understand correctly, the Starter Turns, but the engine does not fire up.

Are you starting it in Neutral? (If starting In-Gear, then you must pull the clutch lever Inwards)

Also, Cruise Control (on or off) does not affect ignition.
Credit DBoher: "Press the cruise "ON" switch, turn the ignition on. If the cruise "ON" light in the dash illuminates the BAS[Bank Angle Switch] is good."

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can you tell if relay #6 is being energized when you turn on the key? You should be able to feel or hear a slight ticking coming from the relay. This relay controls the ignition and cruise control. Many years ago, there was a problem with the bank angle sensor. This sensor would kill the ignition in a situation where the angle of lean was great enough that it was possibly laying on its side or in a ditch. These sensors have been recalled and replaced. There is a chance, albeit a very slim chance that this bike has the original bank angle sensor. If you run completely out of ideas, you may try bypassing the sensor to see if the ignition comes to life. The sensor is on the frame under the seat. It is on the right side near the back. You should see 3 wires. A red, a red /white and a green wire. Jump the red/white wire to the green. If it is a bad sensor, your bike should start with this bypassed. If it still doesn't start. Reconnect the plug and work your way back from relay #6. If it is getting power in and out of the relay, then check the circuits from there to the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Can you tell if relay #6 is being energized when you turn on the key? You should be able to feel or hear a slight ticking coming from the relay. This relay controls the ignition and cruise control. Many years ago, there was a problem with the bank angle sensor. This sensor would kill the ignition in a situation where the angle of lean was great enough that it was possibly laying on its side or in a ditch. These sensors have been recalled and replaced. There is a chance, albeit a very slim chance that this bike has the original bank angle sensor. If you run completely out of ideas, you may try bypassing the sensor to see if the ignition comes to life. The sensor is on the frame under the seat. It is on the right side near the back. You should see 3 wires. A red, a red /white and a green wire. Jump the red/white wire to the green. If it is a bad sensor, your bike should start with this bypassed. If it still doesn't start. Reconnect the plug and work your way back from relay #6. If it is getting power in and out of the relay, then check the circuits from there to the ignition system.

The BAS recall was for the 1988 - 1993 year bikes. He has a 1996 year bike.....!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
...Might also check the Red Connector above Right Fan; it attaches the Kill Switch on handle bar to the main wire harness.
I once had this connector go bad (one of the pins stopped connecting), and lost ignition.

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Maybe a Pulse Generator is kaput?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts