Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a new battery, new pulse generator still no spark. I have checked the coils they are good.

·
It aint rocket science
3,956 Posts
When did it last run and what work has been done previously?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has been sitting for a while. It was wrecked in the front, but has the forks replaced . Not a hard hit.

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
I immediately suspected the crank position sensor but I suppose that is what you called the PG you replaced. Have you checked the fuses? I can't get my 01-05 ETM to open so I can't say which one exactly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I immediately suspected the crank position sensor but I suppose that is what you called the PG you replaced. Have you checked the fuses? I can't get my 01-05 ETM to open so I can't say which one exactly.
Yes I checked all fuses, The tilt sensor checked good. Kick stand switch, ok . Turns over good but no spark to plugs. Bike has only 4950 miles on it.

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Make sure it is getting power in & out of fuse #17, if so it could be the FI relay, first one on the right side of the front row.
It won't crank if the tilt sensor is tripped, kill switch off or side stand down with it in gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the fuse with a new . Old fuse good. changed the relay. The motor cranks over good but no spark. Kill switch is good. Works ok.

·
It aint rocket science
3,956 Posts
No spark? I would bet you are more than likely not getting any fuel pressure either with key ON or cranking. If you can get to the fuel tap port easily check for fuel pressure, that might help someone narrow it down.:)

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Changed the fuse with a new . Old fuse good. changed the relay. The motor cranks over good but no spark. Kill switch is good. Works ok.
As I said, it won't even crank with the kill switch off so no worry there. I guess you are going to have to do some diagnostic work at the ECM connector. Do you have a manual?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I said, it won't even crank with the kill switch off so no worry there. I guess you are going to have to do some diagnostic work at the ECM connector. Do you have a manual?
I have a 2003 goldwing and took ECM out of it and put it in the bike still no spark.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
646 Posts
I wonder if the bank angle sensor got twoinked in the accident?

Yes, twoinked is an engineering term.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No the bike way inside a garage with other bikes. People were in the garage every day. Wiring does not look damaged, checked all the wiring.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
Yes I checked all fuses, The tilt sensor checked good. Kick stand switch, ok . Turns over good but no spark to plugs. Bike has only 4950 miles on it.
An 18 year old motorcycle in a garage and it only has 4950 miles on it. There is always a posaibility that rodent activity has happened. If so, it will not be seen readily. A deeper inspection will certainly be needed.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
646 Posts
If it was in a garage, there is especially a chance that mice got into it. Mice hate being outside in the winter, so,...

·
1,753 Posts
Sorry, I do not have a manual for this year. But I remember reading something about an electrical connection in a socket near the engine block that can corrode and create problems. To access this connector you have to disassemble the air filter box. Unfortunately not much help but the best I can do now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts