Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1995 GL1500. Everything works on the bike except it has no spark to any of the plugs.Bike was travelling OK when it started to run rough then stopped. Any thoughts. Located the CDI pack but unable to test.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Having recently gone through something like this first check battery voltage when cranking if less than 10volt it wont spark. Second locate the block connector from the pulse coils inside cam belt cove and check resistance.
It is NOT a cdi but an ecm and that unit is very robust

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
How did you test for spark?
I think 95 will crank the starter regardless of kill switch position. Might try jumping the 2 wires that go to the kill switch. If the switch failed at speed as you decribed I would expect the bike to kick and buck like a bronco. Probably even backfire out the exhaust like a shotgun. 😎 .

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
286 Posts
Correct, prior to 1998, the Kill switch did not prevent the starter motor from turning. From 1998 on, the Kill switch must be in RUN position to allow the starter motor to rotate.

Reactions: redwing52

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
Correct, prior to 1998, the Kill switch did not prevent the starter motor from turning. From 1998 on, the Kill switch must be in RUN position to allow the starter motor to rotate.
I had forgotten and was recently thinking of when that change took place and thought '96, thanks for the clarification. AFAIK the Honda service manuals do not show that production change of the starter interruption in the wiring diagrams ???

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I have a 2000 Honda Service manual and it does not document the Stop/Run switch being in the start circuit. Nowhere in the start circuit is that switch to be found. It just shows it in the engine control circuit before the coils and ECM just the same as the earlier models. They never changed the circuit diagrams to show that change.

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
I have a 2000 Honda Service manual and it does not document the Stop/Run switch being in the start circuit. Nowhere in the start circuit is that switch to be found. It just shows it in the engine control circuit before the coils and ECM just the same as the earlier models. They never changed the circuit diagrams to show that change.
I think you are right. Imagine that. A mistake in a Honda Manual. Good catch.

:)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
You know, I'm thinking that the change is in the Engine Control Module (ECM). So I went looking for the ECM in the parts manual. I was curious to know if the part numbers were different for the different year Wings. But I guess I was looking in the wrong place. Can't find the ECM in the parts manaul.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,819 Posts
You know, I'm thinking that the change is in the Engine Control Module (ECM). So I went looking for the ECM in the parts manual. I was curious to know if the part numbers were different for the different year Wings. But I guess I was looking in the wrong place. Can't find the ECM in the parts manaul.
I can't either. It is shown in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, but no part numbers are given.

and I have looked at the Partzilla website for the parts, and it is not listed in any of the subsections there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have found thenm before on cmsnl website for a UK model but they are on an odd page to what would be obvious, like one of the revese controllers is on the page for the top box/saddlebag frame section

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
The ECM is with the fuel tank. No, that is not where the change was made, not possible, but since I don't have a late 1500 ETM I don't know where the difference is either.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think one change was in 91 when the number and shape of block connectors changed. Also, but dont know when from, the ecm controlled the fuel pump internaly and a transistor can blow, early ones, i think, control the pump via an external relay

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
The ECM is with the fuel tank. No, that is not where the change was made, not possible, but since I don't have a late 1500 ETM I don't know where the difference is either.
I am not sure where Honda made the change either but I did find that it can be accomplished very easily. On connector number 57 (9 pin red) if you flip flop the Blk/Lt Green with the Blk/White you can convert your early model to post 1997 configuration. If Honda did it that way I can not say. 😎

Screenshot (40).png Screenshot (42).png

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
The change occurred in 1997. A 1997 will not crank with the Kill switch OFF....!!!!!

There is a 1997 sitting in my garage as I type.......imagine that.....!!!

I am not the "expert" on this forum...LOL..!

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
I am not sure where Honda made the change either but I did find that it can be accomplished very easily. On connector number 57 (9 pin red) if you flip flop the Blk/Lt Green with the Blk/White you can convert your early model to post 1997 configuration. If Honda did it that way I can not say. 😎

View attachment 322811 View attachment 322812
Good observation. (y)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
The change occurred in 1997. A 1997 will not crank with the Kill switch OFF....!!!!!

There is a 1997 sitting in my garage as I type.......imagine that.....!!!

I am not the "expert" on this forum...LOL..!
Color me corrected. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Me thinks everyone is turning this into brain surgery, and expensive one at that.. My first guess is the alternator died, or else a bad battery.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I had a incident last week where I pulled up in front of the garage to park bike after a ride. The fans came on while I was searching for the remote, and everything shut off. I had just put a new Deca battery in a couple of months ago. Only tightened battery connections with a screw driver though. A couple of turns with a 10 mm socket wrench, and all was good again.
gumbyred

1 - 20 of 20 Posts