Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So I am trying to resurect a 1978 wing, it has sat for 15 years, i got the motor moving again and the carbs unstuck, I wanted to check ignition befor going deeper, and with the plugs out and on the frame, no spark on any of them. I saw something about a kickstand switch on here. Also the kill switch has been disengaged sometime in the bikes distant past. It,s just been taped off under the knob. I'm not the best electrical guy around so any help would be great.

Paul

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

Sitting a long tome the points have probably corroded. There is no kickstand switch on that bike unless it has been added. Have the wires to the kill switch been connected together or just disconnected? They need to be connected together.
Bypassing the kill switch is a good thing IMHO, save you some trouble later on.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

so i ordered the manual for the bike, but being the newbie that I am, where are the points at on this bike? it looked like there was only one wire in tghe kill switch, doesn't seem right I better go look again

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

The points are under the cover on the rear of the left head. There should be 2 wires on the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

yes 2 wires on the switch and they are twisted together, i'll pull that cover off and look at the points.

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

The 2 wires need to be better than just twisted together. Solder them or find them in the headlight housing and connect them together there or at least put a wire nut on them, they are very important to the operation of the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

ok.. so here is what I now know, i have spark on one of the sets of points and spark on 2 of the plugs. what would keep the current from getting to one of the sets of points? or could it just be bad?

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

The current to the points comes from the negative side of the coil. How are you checking the points for spark? Good old open and close with a screwdriver or with a test light?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I'm turning the bike over with the lights out, I can see the one set sparking and nothing on the other set, plus i can see the 2 plugs sparking. is there one or 2 condensers and could the one set of points be grounding out? or could the coil be bad?

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

Most likely the points are just dirty and not contacting. Slide some fine emory cloth through the contacts then a folded dollar bill. Also check the gap. 0.016' and put a thin film of grease on the point cam.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

well i have got spark all the way around now. Guess I'll try putting some fuel in the tank and see what happens. how hard are the brakes to rebuild on this bike? i have no brakes at this time. the rear pedal is really stiff but i keep working at it and nothing on the front so I am assuming a total rebuild on both the front and back systems.

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

The brakes are pretty easy except for bleeding the front, that can be a pain. The rear pedal is probably rusted to the pivot shaft.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

thanks for the help i'll hit you up later for advise when the carbs don't work right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.