Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new here and starting a new message so I don't hijack my own thread.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/3850.html

I've been playing with the new toy 78 GL1000 and the starter solinoid went out. It just clicks but does not pass current probably from all the cranking. I jumped it with a screw driver (yes I drive old fords) and the motor cranks but has no spark. Looking for a place to check power at the coil I see there is a ballast resistor installed. Does the ignition use less than 12 volts to run?Does the starterbutton bypass the resistor to give full 12 volts while cranking?I tried cranking it with the screwdriver while holding in the starter button and it spurtered once but the battery was too far drained and it stopped cranking. I'm charging it right now and will try again in the morning but was wondering if I'm on the right track.

I really should wait for the repair manual to get here but I can't help myself.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Ok so I'm an insomniac and I can't leave it alone. I was able to get the battery charged and using the same trick as before cranked the motor. I got one blip of spark until I hit the starter button and then had plenty. The motor started sputtered and stalled. The next attempt was with out pushing the starter button and it started again sputtered and stalled. The third try was with choke and the starter button and it came to life and ran.

The stalling is from other issues I have but my testing did nothing to confirm or disprove my belief that the starter button does send 12 volts to the coils. I managed to remove the solenoid and with some careful disassembly found that the plastic cap had melted some and was blocking the contacts. I removed the plastic, cleaned the contacts (I flipped the bar on the plunger over) and reinstalled it. I'm going to put the battery back in in the AM but will need to replace this solenoid.

Any good online stores for these types or parts. I can't seem to find anything here in the US.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome b.pete! When the bike is running the coils get power thru a resistor that cuts the voltage some, like old cars. While the starter button is pressed, full 12 volts is sent to the coils.
Do you have any motorcycle salvage yards in your area? A starter relay (a relay is all that it is) off of another model Honda, like a 750 might work.
I would take the old one along to match it to.
GOOD LUCK!
John

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks. That helps. Not sure if there are any salvage yards here but I'll check into it. I hope that I don't have to use the wreckers for a lot of parts that tend to fail.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I don't know about your 78 but on my 83 (and later) wing, hitting the start button not only gives a full 12 volts to the coils but cuts power to the headlight and maybe the radio systems to help with starting voltage.

I think there are some motorcycle salvage yards in the Phoenix area.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yep mine does the same. I'd be surprised if it didn't:)

The solinoid is shot. The contacts melted up into the cap so this one is a lost cause. The no spark was due to the fact I needded the start button held and the cranking issue was low battrery. What really stinks is I did this to myself in my haste to tinker with it. I'm kind of a bull in china shop sometimes.

The Haynes will be here midweek and I hope it has wiring diagrams. There is a lot of cut stuff and a few things not working. I was an electrical trouble shooter for 15 years so I know not to go down that road without prints. If you do you can wind up re-doing everything to your own design.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

That's bad news. :(

Check the local salvage yards or repair shops in the area. I got a usedone for my 83 for $30 from a local repair shop. The dealer wanted about $80 I think and would have had to order it.

There is also Ebay.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Any small starter solenoid will do, you can get them for as little as $15. Once you can find somewhere to mount it it will work out well. :waving:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Any small starter solenoid will do, you can get them for as little as $15. Once you can find somewhere to mount it it will work out well. :waving:
I was thining that as well. Would like to keep it stock as there is very little room for anything. The one on my Mustang would need to be mounted to the luggage rack.:D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum. There are two places where new Honda parts can be obtained.

http://www.powersportspro.com/

http://www.servicehonda.com/

The only issue I have with Service Honda is you must have the Honda part number to proceed. They are usually a little cheaper than Power Sports.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Looked at both of those sites but needed the part number to find what I was looking for in both places. You're right the Hoda site was cheaper at59 while Power sports was 79.

I've got a bid in on one on ebay. It ends in four days but for right now the bid is 90 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

B.pete a supplier you may want tovisit on line in canada is

www.partsnmore.net That is where I got my seloniod from for $38. Took a week to get here but worth the wait.Everything will be new and original.

Try the www.oldbikebarm.com Seen some good return from there also.

On e-bay avoid a fellow calling himself summertimeblues.

Keep it vertical.Litfuse

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Hey Pete. I lived in Phoenix over 20 years. Isn't there a salvage yard on Cave Creek road? I don't remember the name or even the street for sure, but I know there used to be a really big one over there...far east side of town.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

litfuse,

Nice links. I think I'm going to order that solenoid out of Canada. I'm in no hurry and it's new. All the ebay stuff is used and you know how that goes. I've got a used on on there now:). Plus I was outbid on ebay already so I won't get stuck with two.

fatalattraction,

Not sure if it's still there but doing a google I found several yards here. I'll have to keep them in mind for some of the rare stuff. Which I was begining to think this solenoid was. Oh excuse me that's the wrong term. Thet are listed as starter relays. I need to see if you can walk the yard though. I like to go looking for neat stuff I can use.

I don't know how long you've been out of Phoenix but I've only been here 7 years. It has changed drastically in that time so if it's been a whil yo probably won;t recognize it. I live way up north off of Happy valley road and 67th Ave. Just a few years ago this was the country and now it wall to wall houses.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

We had a new house built in 1990 at 75th ave and TBird. That was in the country then. Surprise was a one gas station berg and the Mariners had a real baseball team. :action: Moved here 9 years ago. Couldn't stand the heat anymore.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for the links. I ordered a new solinoid and am looking at other parts they have there. Pretty good site we'll see how long shipping takes.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Budegan, did you used to have a different avatar? I do not remember seeing your name or avatar before yet, you are a "very active member" have I just missed you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.