Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Working on a 98 goldwing 1500 trike. Just swapped motor.
Everything hooked as it should be. I am not getting spark when turning over. I've read some other threads to eliminate any possible relay, fuse, kill switch. There is cruise control vacuum, but has no buttons for cruise. All starter relays check out good. Battery at 12.68. Draws to 10.9- 11.2 when cranking. Reverse light illums when reverse engaged and won't crank as it should. All fuses are good. Only bad thing I've found is that the clutch switch is bad. I bypassed that with a jumper. I can't find any side stand switch anywhere. I have checked all 6 plugs for spark.
I am mechanically inclined. Just never worked on a lot of jap stuff. My clymer book isnt really telling me any troubleshooting th as t I haven't tried. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Mouse

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I think that ultimately you'll be pointed to the ECM and/or the coils.

However, have you ruled out the BAS (Bank Angle sensor), and the "kill" switch on the right handlebar? Both could affect the "spark" issue. The BAS is under the trunk of a two-wheeler, I don't know if they are removed/by-passed for the trike setup.

·
It aint rocket science
3,906 Posts
Hello all,
Working on a 98 goldwing 1500 trike. Just swapped motor. There is cruise control vacuum, but has no buttons for cruise. All starter relays check out good. Battery at 12.68. Draws to 10.9- 11.2 when cranking. Reverse light illums when reverse engaged and won't crank as it should.
You have vacuum but the engine does not run? Reverse light is not supposed to light up if engine not running, something wrong there. No cruise control buttons, what is there?:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did locate the BAS. It is unplugged. Looks to have been that way for quite sometime

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have vacuum but the engine does not run? Reverse light is not supposed to light up if engine not running, something wrong there. No cruise control buttons, what is there?:confused:
Vacuum actuator. Sorry. As for handlebar buttons. Their are none for cruise. They're light on dash for cruise when I turn ignition on. Reverse light will come on only when I move lever to reverse position.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It’s not an SE,just interstate and has no reverse but been repainted.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
Vacuum actuator. Sorry. As for handlebar buttons. Their are none for cruise. They're light on dash for cruise when I turn ignition on. Reverse light will come on only when I move lever to reverse position.
Okay,
you have a Reverse Lever and it works, that came with the 'new' engine that you installed.

The handlebar indicates that the bike was originally an Interstate, or else someone swapped the right grip controls out?

Look on the right side of the Steering neck, and give us the VIN, that can be used to find out what it started out life as. SE or Interstate.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
dont know? But the reverse on these bikes is on the left where the black rubber is right above the chrome piece,there’s no handle?

Reactions: Mouse72

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Here’s my SE,see the chrome handle where you have a black rubber piece.

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,906 Posts
Strange, must be a trike thing with no cruise buttons? So to recap you get reverse light with no engine running which is wrong, do you have a neutral light showing? The cruise "on" light is lit and stays lit whenever key is on which is good. There should be no side stand light showing which is good.

The forward most insulated stud, wire Blk/Blu on fuel pump cover (top of gas tank) is for fuel pump. With engine cranking you should see battery voltage, do you?
There is a white connector with 4 wires for the coils top of bike right side frame in air box area. Disconnect that and with key on one wire should show battery voltage, does it?

To my forum brethren it is not I model as the dash would not support it with the lights showing.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There’s a photo in post 7, just click on the image,there’s 2 pictures,I dont see a radio either,and none of the SE traits

·
It aint rocket science
3,906 Posts
It has white faced gauges. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Perhaps I wrong🤷🏻‍ But no idea why it won’t run.

·
It aint rocket science
3,906 Posts
Strange it is.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Yep,it also has older Model crash bars on it,strange but he said it was trike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay,
you have a Reverse Lever and it works, that came with the 'new' engine that you installed.

The handlebar indicates that the bike was originally an Interstate, or else someone swapped the right grip controls out?

Look on the right side of the Steering neck, and give us the VIN, that can be used to find out what it started out life as. SE or Interstate.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts