·
It aint rocket science
3,905 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sorry for the long delay everyone.
I am happy to say that I now have spark on the 1 ton Honda...haha.
I made an error when I installed the PGA's.
I had them in the right spot, but I installed the upper one upside down. The timing wheel did dig in it a bit, but I got lucky.
I reinstalled it properly and BAM!! ( in my Emril voice). I have spark.
I want to thank you all for your help. You guys are pretty alright.
Now for the task of putting the body parts back on and send it out the door to my first happy customer.
My new shop nickname is Sparky now...haha.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Welp. This is a bummer.
While trying to get this motor to run. Decided to check further and check timing and compression. Found that one of the cams was 180° out. After straightening that out. I did a compression check. All were around 200# except one cylinder which was 50#.
Trying to get ahold of the ppl we bought the motor from to see what they want to do about it. Most likely a bent valve. Hopefully we'll get refunded for it .

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the cam was exactly 180° out there shouldn't be any bent valves, it just would have run funky (like a 3cyl engine) with both cylinders of a pair firing simultaneously instead of alternating on consecutive revs. And if the cam was off enough cogs from exactly 180° to bend a valve seems you'd have one bent on each cyl on that side, not just one valve....

Might be the hydraulic lifter for that valve is over pumped and rock solid. We've heard of that before. One guy posted here there was almost zero compression in all six cylinders, it turned out to be the lifters. Nobody seems to know exactly why these 1500's do that once in a while, it's just something they do....

That engine should run with the weak cylinder, if the problem is a lifter it might straighten itself out after running a little bit.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,223 Posts
I bought a '94SE that would run sort of okay, but nothing like it should....

traded a '84 for it, his wife said the '94SE cost too much to just sit in the shed waiting for him to "ride it some day"

Turned out, one carb was gunked up something awful, the slide would not even move.

yet, the bike ran and I rode it home some 30 miles keeping up with traffic at 60-75 mph.

wasn't near the hot rod that the old '84 was, but I knew it could be fixed.

Sea Foam and a lot of patience, I just rode it to work and back, everyday and on weekends, and eventually the Sea Foam cleaned it all up....

At first, I used a lot of spray carb cleaner in the throats after removing the air filter....
that helped the slides to move up and down.

other than that? just Sea Foam and refusing to take it apart.
it eventually ran perfect, right up until Mr. Penske's semi tractor merged it into the Center Media Wall.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Wonder about the history of the motor.Might have been in a crash that damaged the timing belt/valve. Thinking it just needs a belt the salvager threw a belt on 180 off and shipped it to you????????

61 - 67 of 67 Posts