Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bough a 1200 ltd i had to rip out some wires other had installed for light got everything workin again but taillights the guy i bought it from gave me a manual but it dose not have the wiring diagram for the ltd i get no power for the tail lights from the key switch any suggestions would be helpfull thanks

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
i just bough a 1200 ltd i had to rip out some wires other had installed for light got everything workin again but taillights the guy i bought it from gave me a manual but it dose not have the wiring diagram for the ltd i get no power for the tail lights from the key switch any suggestions would be helpfull thanks
Did you check the fuse ? Do the brake lights work ? do any of the taillights work on the trunk or on the lower bags ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all brake and turns work no tails at all checked all fuses if i jump the relay the lights come on the only light that comes on with the key is the headlight

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
There is no tail light relay, only the tail light sensor which if bad would keep the lower tail lights from working but the trunk lights should still work. Do the tail lights work with the ignition switch in the park position?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
The way I'm understanding you is you have NO parking lights, front or rear.. Start by checking fuse #3, 15amp, in the fuse box with either a test light or multimeter to make sure you've got voltage to and after the fuse. It kinda scares me that you had to "rip out some wires other had installed for light" as there's no telling what might have happened here....

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
ltd wiring

hopefully this file will help but best thing you could do would be to get an 1985 Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-...anuals_Literature&hash=item43b951c4bd&vxp=mtr
note: each year manual is somewhat different so suggest you buy correct year regardless of price difference should their be one

cant upload an attachment for the correct file so pm me an email address and i will send it

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
Don't you just hate it when someone comes on a posts a question then the aliens get them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tail light

the aliens didnt get me i work alot and dont get a lot of time to get on i have that manual my fuse box has 2 realys that say tail and turnin light they run the light on the botton of the front fairin the senser seems to be workin the light on the dash comes on and when i jump the relay it goes out and all the lights come on i put it all togther last night and my trip computer stays on even with the key off so i think theres something messed up in the wirein ill have to get the wirin diagram i had the whole thing down to the frame the only thine i found was the rectifire must have burned the plug for it is gone and its sodered together thanks for the sugestions

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
The trip computer is supposed to stay on, at least the map and clock that is. You should try to track down the ETM (electrical trouble shooting manual) so you can trace back and find where you're losing power.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
the aliens didnt get me i work alot and dont get a lot of time to get on i have that manual my fuse box has 2 realys that say tail and turnin light they run the light on the botton of the front fairin the senser seems to be workin the light on the dash comes on and when i jump the relay it goes out and all the lights come on i put it all togther last night and my trip computer stays on even with the key off so i think theres something messed up in the wirein ill have to get the wirin diagram i had the whole thing down to the frame the only thine i found was the rectifire must have burned the plug for it is gone and its sodered together thanks for the sugestions
Just for grins see what type of bulbs you have in your brake/tail lights incandescent or LED's ? Also you can bypass or remove that sensor and solder them wire together with no problem, its only job is to light up the tail light out bulb in the dash.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
The aliens didn't get me, i work a lot and don't get a lot of time to get on. I have that manual, my fuse box has 2 relays that say tail and turning light, they run the light on the bottom of the front fairing. The sensor seems to be working, the light on the dash comes on and when I jump the relay it goes out and all the lights come on. I put it all together last night and my trip computer stays on even with the key off so I think there's something messed up in the wiring, ill have to get the wiring diagram. I had the whole thing down to the frame the only thing I found was the rectifier must have burned the plug for it is gone and its soldered together thanks for the suggestions
Had to punctuate so I could read that without getting out of breath. :)
There are 2 cornering light relays, not related to the tail lights at all. If you can jumper the sensor (I assume that is what you mean by relay) and the lights work then the sensor is bad. You still didn't answer if the trunk tail lights will work with the key in the park position. They do not run through the sensor. BTW soldering the rectifier and stator wires is a common repair or preventive measure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tail ligts

thanks to everyone for sugestions and thank u neoracer problem found frist there is a taillight relay under the coilpacks a ground relay i switch it out with the one from the cfi and we have lights

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we have taillights on 1200 ltd

thanks to neoracer sendin me pics i found taillight relay under coilpacks its in ground distribution and uses the same relay as the cfi

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
OK, glad you got it fixed but PLEASE post in your original thread. You do not need to nor is it proper to start a new thread when you fix something. Still there is no reference to a tail light relay except in the ground distribution, it shows up nowhere else in the ETM and there is no wiring shown to it other than a ground wire.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i finally found the taillight relay in the LTD power distribution circuit,page 25 of the ETM,power is supplied thru the 2nd dogbone fuse,but is switched thru the keyswitch,after power goes thru the relay it comes back to fuse # 3 thru C1,then power goes back to the keyswitch thru the brn/wht wire
out thru the brn wire to both the rear trunklights and connected to the sensor which then end up at the taillights

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
i finally found the taillight relay in the LTD power distribution circuit,page 25 of the ETM,power is supplied thru the 2nd dogbone fuse,but is switched thru the keyswitch,after power goes thru the relay it comes back to fuse # 3 thru C1,then power goes back to the keyswitch thru the brn/wht wire
out thru the brn wire to both the rear trunklights and connected to the sensor which then end up at the taillights

Good find, they sure did screw that up in the schematics.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Hi GWO, and welcome to the forum.
If you are having a problem, you'd be better off to start a new thread.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.