Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m back at my 1200 after finishing up my 1500 . Now back at this electrical problem. I refreshed this motor over the winter and before it came out of the frame everything worked. Now it’s back in the frame and I have no temperature gauge and the fuel pump will not work off the wire harness. It does now because I wired up my own relay for it . The bike runs great no more smoke on start up and the Stator is charging now. And it starts up without the starter clutch spinning out .
Question is what wire is either disconnected or grounded that those two issues are happening? I’ve looked at almost everything I can think of , and even had the gauge Pac off to see if some there was amiss? I replaced the fuel pump relay with a known good one and rechecked the connection at the temp sending unit. All good ! I’m stumped , and it’s probably right in front of my face . Any help is appreciated and thanks for letting me vent ! Lol

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
If the temp gauge worked before I would be checking the connections where the engine harness connects to the main harness. The fuel pump relay gets it's power from the same wire as the coils so if they have power it should also. Try jumping the black to the white.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave but I pulled out the engine harness for the oil/temp/fan and actually removed all the coverings to see if I somehow pinched or tore it and it’s all fine . I’m wondering if something got pinched or pulled out in the harness itself. I’m also going to check the starter relay wiring because it hesitates to start when I hit the start button. But it does turn over ? Not sure if it related.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did install a Electrical Connections wire harness on the bike after the engine went back in . Everything is right or it wouldn’t run at all .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to stop back to report that I found the problem for no temp gauge issue.
I found at the harness for the gauge pack that the temp sending wire and the wire next to it at the connector had pinched themselves together and were touching where the covering rubbed together. It was only a tiny bit but enough to short together. The wires were stuck together. Once I pulled them apart the gauge came to life . I cut them at that spot soldered them back together and used shrink tube .
Only after I traced the problem by continuity following from connector to connector on the sending wire did I find the problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed , this was definitely a head scratcher! I’ve been refreshing the motor for this bike over the winter and when I put it back in the frame the gauge wouldn’t work. Don’t know how the wires at the Gauge pack had anything to do with pulling out the motor. But that’s what I found .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts