Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since my bike is not conveniently equppied with a windshield wiper (contemplating why not) what's the best stuff to treat the shield with to repel water so it won't become a translucent wall?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Most people treat their shields with the same product that most use to shine their bikes - a can of Lemon Pledge! Great at cleaning the road grime/bugs off of it, as well.

Although it helps bead the water, it can/does become overwhelmed in a good heavy rain.

Do not use Rainex , as it is meant only for glass, not plastic.

You should have your shield adjusted so that you can safely look over it, so that you can see thepavement, 50' in front of you. You can still 'tuck' in behind it. This prevents you being 'blinded' by on coming lights at night, as well.

Ahh!:doh: ... I forgot to add a link to a winshield wiper;) - windshield wiper

Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

I was told some time ago to use Pledge... you know, the furniture polish stuff.

I am a big user of Rain-X but you absolutely cannot use this on plastic like our windshields.

I tied Pledge... I used the orange stuff (I don't think it matters) and it works GREAT!!

It also helps keep the bugs from sticking.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Man... I gota type faster if I want to be first!!! Beaten by a minute!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

3M Marine Protictive Liquid Wax # 09027. The boat, cars and bike with wind shield.

This wax has no harsh cleaners tha scratch. Forgot; even the ful helmet screen is waxed.

All the above on the bikeis followed up with Lemon Pledge on trips and such.

09027 might be phased out and replaced with another product. Check out Meguiar's PlastX too for cleaning the screen. This is very fine polish with "water resistant polymers". Expensive, but does a very good job.

Summer in Florida the down pours are exciting to say the least. Coming back from Cedar Key to Sarasota I looked in the rear view and saw a wake. The rain just runs off the windshield and face shield like Rain-X.

Don't forget to do both sides too.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Plastic,paint,fiberglass. Ringing a bell yet.Use liquid Turtle wax,water repellant and bug non-stick. Wipe on,wipe off.

As a second thought use vertical,horizonal wipeing only, never go in circles when applying anything to windshield. You will not leave swirlers that blind you in direct sunlite.

·
Administrator
22,058 Posts
imported post

There used to be a company that made windshield wipers for the GL12. They must have gone out of business. The coating on the stock windshields is very delicate. Which brings me to another point.My experience has been that Pledge seems to damage that thin coating as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.