Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, and according to the article (and other sources) the sharp rise in deaths is mostly due to people no longer wearing helmets... how stupid can people be?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

There's also an attendant increase in road rage and general stress/aggression out there. Motorcycles give a primal feeling of control and power, which in the wrong hands is a bad formula. On my recent ride, i had two morons pass me over double yellow lines around a blind curve at high speed. Suicide wish.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
There's also an attendant increase in road rage and general stress/aggression out there. Motorcycles give a primal feeling of control and power, which in the wrong hands is a bad formula. On my recent ride, i had two morons pass me over double yellow lines around a blind curve at high speed. Suicide wish.
Not to mention there's been a burgeoning of high performance bikes on the road the last few years. I was fortunate enough learn to ride on some pretty old cranky bikes. Also I grew upwithout seeing all the stunt bikers, super moto cross and such like. Dirt track racing, and scrambles were the big deals. I was, shall we say, pretty mature before I saw people doing back flips with a bike in mid air. I never tried to drag my knee in a corner with my old Triumph 650, the damn thing would have shaken me off. My point is that a lot of folks have seen all this stuff, a lot of high performance bikes are available relatively cheap. Since many young guys think they are the first hot stuff the world has seen, it's not surprising lots of them bite the dust. I think a lot of the older riders who crash and burn are the wannabes who buy a big Harley as their first bike, just gotta be cool in middle age, and find out that's a tough way to learn about curves and physics. I was real lucky, I got my introduction on some odd old bikes that couldn't do 100mph and I did most of my early riding on dirt roads in a desertso I didn't go flying off an asphalt curve. BTW I did wear a helmet, local laws didn't matter, my folks made me promise and I kept my word.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
mag wrote:
Not to mention there's been a burgeoning of high performance bikes on the road the last few years. I was fortunate enough learn to ride on some pretty old cranky bikes. Also I grew upwithout seeing all the stunt bikers, super moto cross and such like. Dirt track racing, and scrambles were the big deals. I was, shall we say, pretty mature before I saw people doing back flips with a bike in mid air. I never tried to drag my knee in a corner with my old Triumph 650, the damn thing would have shaken me off. My point is that a lot of folks have seen all this stuff, a lot of high performance bikes are available relatively cheap. Since many young guys think they are the first hot stuff the world has seen, it's not surprising lots of them bite the dust. I think a lot of the older riders who crash and burn are the wannabes who buy a big Harley as their first bike, just gotta be cool in middle age, and find out that's a tough way to learn about curves and physics. I was real lucky, I got my introduction on some odd old bikes that couldn't do 100mph and I did most of my early riding on dirt roads in a desertso I didn't go flying off an asphalt curve. BTW I did wear a helmet, local laws didn't matter, my folks made me promise and I kept my word.
Well, I learned about physics and curves at about 13 years of age when I bought my first 5 speed bike to deliver newspapers with and to replace the single speed with the fat tires. I got to where I could ride much faster on the new bike than the old one, fast enough that on one curve, the skinny tires wouldn't grip the gravel road and I went through a barb wire fence, and 3 thorny bushes. needless to say, my clothes were almost ripped off of me, I had scraps and scratches in places that should have never been scratched, the front tire ripped clean off the bike, and a bunch of newspapers all over the place. Mom was not a happy camper. After a couple of bottles of iodine and mecuricrom, and several bandages, I had to go finish my route, on my old bike. Now that I think back on it, it was kind of funny. But even now on the big bike, I think about that fence and the thorn bushes, and it slows me down.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Funny thing about bicycles, worst accident I was everhad was on one of those things. I was riding downhill with my younger brother sitting on the top bar. It was the first time I'd ridden one of those new fangled ten speeds. We had the wind behind us and on the hill were probably doing 35+ when the intersection below got busy. I couldn't reach the brakes on the fancy racing handlebars and told my bother to lean forward so I could grab the brakes. Well, he leaned forward and in the process caught his foot in the front wheel, the wheel collapsed, the fork dug into the pavement and we vaulted over the bike. I slid on my head and came up short against the curb with my brother landing on top of me. I don't remember much about it, woke up in the hospital the next day with the most god awful road rash down the side of my head and a cracked skull. Didn't develop normal binocular vision (saw double) for a few days. Worst of all missed my only chance to go to a Boy Scout Jamboree. To this day I can feel that sick moment when the wheel collapsed and I knew this wasn't going to be fun. Keeps me from doing too many foolish things on my Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

When I was 16 I jumped on my brothers 450 Honda for a spin and on the way back I decided to take a 55mph "S-curve" at 75mph like i was "Kenny Roberts", well i didn't make it and when i left the bike it hit a telephone pole and i kept going through 2 yards andMrs Patterson's White Wood fence and ended up in the middle of her front yard! she calmly came out and said "Hi Pete", I said "Hi"!

That physics thing works every time!:goofygrin:

That was the last time I showed off on a bike 1967!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

was delivering papers with the canvass paper carrier over my shoulder and riding a schwinn sting ray.... hit the water in the drainage place and slide about 10 feet... fortunately the papers abosrbed the impact I made with the pavement

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I'd have to agree that most bikers in Florida are idiots riding around without a helmet and no gear (no shirt only shorts and sandals seem to be common in the summer). Maybe they don't have anything worth protecting? Half the folks in my MSF class were court ordered to be there for not having a license and they were terrible on the course.

I wear a helmet, gear and carry insurance cause I have a lot to lose if I didn't and something bad happened.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I had a car shoot out of an alley between two buildings and cross my T. I was riding a loaner from the shop while they fixed my bike. Up and over I went, no chance whatsoever to stop or lay it down.

Then in motocross I came across a jump to see a pileup under me, I threw my bike to one side and landed in the middle of it myself. One of my fellow racers had hardwired his kill switch and I stalled his bike with my hand through his rear spokes. To this day I have some interesting artifacts that show up on x-rays.

You might say I learned. But I still wonder at what I see on the road. Have another rider come up alongside and for some reason he has to prove himself to the duffer on the chrome battlewagon, wheelies and steel shoeing curves. Sorry lads, but I am simply not impressed. I have laid in hospital beds with my limbs stretched out at strange angles, my hand alone was in a banjo brace for six months, it is no fun. And as an old trials rider I am more impressed with control, rather than velocity.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Sunday my wife and I took our son out for his first highway ride, he was on the back of the wing with me... This punk a$$ kid on a crotch rocket came flying up behind us and swerved inbetween us. We where doing around 58-60mph...

Funny thing is we where going to the camp grounds and when we get there who should I see:cooldevil: Needless to say some heated words where exchanged and he is lucky his friends saw things my way or there could have been blood shed...

I don't play well with others that endanger my family:coollep:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Slap him to Sleep, then Slap him for Sleeping!:thumpingmad:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

eluwak wrote:
I'd have to agree that most bikers in Florida are idiots riding around without a helmet and no gear (no shirt only shorts and sandals seem to be common in the summer). Maybe they don't have anything worth protecting? Half the folks in my MSF class were court ordered to be there for not having a license and they were terrible on the course.

I wear a helmet, gear and carry insurance cause I have a lot to lose if I didn't and something bad happened.
Well, I will be the first to admit I have ridden a lot in a tee shirt, but I do wear a helmet, jeans and boots when I'm riding. Can't stand the thought to ride in shorts, afraid some might slip out, and at my age, I look silly enough without showing the world a half naked middle aged fat man on a motorcycle. I'd rather be a semi respectable fat man on a motorcycle.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Likewise, I might ride in shirtsleeves when it's hot, but never in shorts and bare topped, I have too much sympathy for anyone who might see such a revolting sight.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

exavid wrote:
Likewise, I might ride in shirtsleeves when it's hot, but never in shorts and bare topped, I have too much sympathy for anyone who might see such a revolting sight.
What is that song??? Total eclipse of the sun........

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Now that I ride the wing I find myself not wearingmy rider jacket so much... It def gets too hot behind that nice windscreen to wear that. In the winter it should not be such a big deal. If I didn't wear it on the Suzuki GS500E then by the time I got anywear I would be numb from being pelted with bugs :goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've often noticed other bike riders with a lot of cold weather clothes on naked bikes when I'm comfortable with a light leather jacket. The fairing does make a difference. It also lessens fatigue on a long ride. I've never felt the need for a full face helmet or face mask like I see on a lot of Harley riders in cool weather.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

..it would be interesting to try to pull those death , and injury statistics apart, and see how many deaths per 100000 there are for no helmet/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif, full helmet/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif... and like a lot of wingers choose.. 3/4/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif... or worse, I suppose for beanie helmets/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/gunhead.gif... I do not imagine a lot of people actually die from road rash.. probably just spend a few months in recovery wards.. but when I see a guy in shorts, sandels, and NO helmet .. I have to wonder !!!! Silver /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

exavid wrote:
I've often noticed other bike riders with a lot of cold weather clothes on naked bikes when I'm comfortable with a light leather jacket. The fairing does make a difference. It also lessens fatigue on a long ride. I've never felt the need for a full face helmet or face mask like I see on a lot of Harley riders in cool weather.
I start relying on the face mask and full face when it is 20 or below. I also like the leathers under my insulated coveralls and insulated jacket. That and a good pair of PAK boots and I am happy. Gloves are really not an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Dang Brojees, you must look like the "Michelin Man" going down the road!!:goofygrin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.