1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi;

1984 GL1200 Aspencade 110,000km

Getting occasional tapping from my valves, on both sides. The camshaft will need replacing I think. If the tapping comes and goes from time to time, whats the opinion on wether to drive it a bit more, or should I park it now?:waving:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

If it's the camshaft then the noise will be there all the time I think, instead of occasionally. The lifters on the 1200 have been known to get stuck and make ticking noises.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

If you have too much oil in the sump it can get aerated and cause occasional lifter noise, check this first. Change the oil and filter if it hasn't been done recently so that you know you have good oil in the crankcase. Use a premium quality 20-50w motorcycle rated oil. Let us know what turns up after this.

If the cams are bad you can keep driving you'll just lose performance until the lobeswear flat then it will hardly run, although it would take many thousands of miles to so.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You can visually inspect the cam lobes by pulling a valve cover and cranking the engine over (with the stop switch in the "OFF" position)... If there islittle or norocker arm action, pull the cam covers off and inspect the cams. Any scoring, burring or rough surfaces indicates a worn cam and should be replaced. There is a dial indicator procedure in the manual, but most riders don't have the equipment to measure lobe rise duration in thousanths of an inch..

It appears to me that you just have normal valve train noise from a normal 1200 with that many miles on it... However, like Goldwinger says, good clean oil may relieve the noise after a while.. You may need to change the oil several times AND run a cleaner such as Marvel Mystery oil too. Look back in the forum for lots of information on that procedure.

Welcome to the club!!! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info and the welcome!!

Been riding motorcycles since 1973 and still in love with it!!

Cheers

Newfiewinger

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If the noise is intermittent then worn cams is unlikely. Those lifters do get noisy after a few years. The flush & change oil trick often works wonders and is well worth a try.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Will do that, thanks again to all who offered advice

Newfiewinger

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

How did you get on with that Newife? I'm interested because I know someone with a 1985LTD and sometimes this rocker noise comes in and then goes out after a few minutes. I told him to try the flush and lighter oil this weekend. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Flushing the engine seems to do the job. Even just changing the oil can work, all the scummy condensation deposits get removed.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi there.

For those who are wondering about the valve noise on my 84 ASP.....

I changed the oil a couple of times, then added 8% lucas oil to my 10W40, ( after talking to the people there about their products ). When I started it up the tapping went away after about 60sec and has notreturned. I think I may have solved the problem. I've only run about 100km since due to the weather here, so I guess next summer will tell. But so far so good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's really appreciated.

Grant

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

By the way, the guy at Lucas Oil suggested using synthetic oil, but I already had a case of normal 10W40 I want to use up.

Would appreciate thoughts and opinions on synthetic V regular oil.

Thanks Again.

Grant

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I recently switched my 83 Aspencade from dino 20-50 the previous owner was using to Mobile 1 Synthetic 15-50. I have noticed the bike seems to shift a little better and my oil consumption is about half what it was (a couple of oz. every1500 mi/2414 km). I will go to a heavier synthetic this summer when it gets hot again 115F+/46C. It's a cool 45F/7C in the mornings right now!

I currently have 90750 miles /146048 kilometers on the bike and running strong.:clapper:

I should have added thatI use Mobile 1 Synthetic in my car and truck also;

1996 Ford Crown Victoria 115000 miles

1986 Ford F150 170000 miles.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Hi Newfiewinger.dont know if this helps or not,I use Reslone in my 84.keeps everything nice and clean,.....try it,youll like it..........I use a half liter,every oil change.....Bigman

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Bigman;

What is Reslone? I've never heard of it. I'm assuming it's an oil additive.

Is it a Canadian tire sort of product?

Thanks

All the best

Grant

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Be careful with Rislone. It's a great cleaner! It will also, however, clean out O rings, hoses, and other rubber and paper products from between surfaces if left in too long. Has also been known to clean the thread-lok from main bolts, and piston end cap bolts.

Excellent cleaner! Will dissolve pets, kids, wives, mother-in-laws, VCR's, Old tires, neighbors, etc. etc. etc. :shock:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Rislone,sorry bout the spelling has been around for yrs.I first got turned on to it in highschool,Im now fifty so its been a few yrs.Anyway,my shop teacher used it in his Toyota Crown,member those?We pulled the pan off it as a shop project and the mains were still as shinny as when they were new.My father always swore that that was a really good product,so Ive use it in everything with a four cycle engine.I used to have trouble with clutch plates sticking together,and the odd valve train noise,a little Rislone every oil change and its gone.You can get this product at most places that sell oil,I get mine at wal-mart.The product is made by Schefer,I think,not sure.I have never had a problem with this product,and like I said,I use approx half a litre per oil change in my 84.........Bigman.......O,Btw,I use it inmy 93,2litre ford ranger,352,000 km on it,10 yr old 20 horse ridin lawnmower,02 Kia Sportage and my Dads 94 Crown Vic,power washer and generator,all are still workin just fine!!!!!!!!

Have a good new yrs everyone!!!!!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Can you look us all in the eye and state you are NOT a Rislone salesman???

:goofygrin:

Just kidding.. Good luck on your project and have a safe & happy new year...

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks, I may give it a try, but for now the valves have silenced!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.