Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a 1985 Aspencade and am hearing a noise. The noise is definitely coming from the left side engine area. The noiseis similar to that made by a cars wheel bearing that has been removed, cleaned, and is being spun dry by hand in it's race prior to being repacked with grease. I only hear it when the bike is moving which makes me think that it's a drive train noise. I read all of the threads on this site and none of them describe a similar noise althoughsome mentioned something about a chain. Can anyone help me with this one?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

White11Clay wrote:
I recently purchased a 1985 Aspencade and am hearing a noise. The noise is definitely coming from the left side engine area. The noiseis similar to that made by a cars wheel bearing that has been removed, cleaned, and is being spun dry by hand in it's race prior to being repacked with grease. I only hear it when the bike is moving which makes me think that it's a drive train noise. I read all of the threads on this site and none of them describe a similar noise althoughsome mentioned something about a chain. Can anyone help me with this one?
White11Clay, is the noise road speed sensitive? Does it increase as the vehicle speed increases? If so it might be a cupped or feathered front tire (quite common).. If it is a front tire it should change sound slightly as the bike is leaned over in a turn or corner. Other than that see if you can define it's origin a little closer, maybe use a mechanics stethoscope with the stinger removed then ride around & listen to different areas (do this in a parking lot or deserted road so one of those cagers doesn't run you over.

Maybe try running the bike up to speed then pulling in the clutch & killing the engine then coasting down in speed to see if the noise is still there with the engine off & clutch in.

Give us a little more to go on here & we can probably pin it down for you.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

:action: Surely its not a bearing going in an auto alternator installed on that bike ?:baffled::waving: just had to ask:)

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The big hyvochain sometimes makes a bag of marbles sound if the carbs are off balance, but it's rarely a continous noise and usually only heard when you take off from a standstill or load on the throttle sharply.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

White, Welcome tothe best Goldwing site on the internet! The official welcoming committee will be along shortly, give these guys alittle more detail and I'm betting that they'll pin down your noise.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Wow!! Thanks for allthe feedback guys.

I went for a ride tonight to try and get more details but didn't have time to go far and the traffic around home made hearing the noise difficult since it's really not that loud. I'll try again this weekend when I have time to get out of town. Thanks again!

P.S. The bag of marbles sound isn't a bad comparison to the noise but it seems to be most noticable when I'm cruising about 60 mph in overdrive. I think that's about 2,400 rpm.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

White11Clay,

:waving::waving:Welcome to the BEST GoldWing forum on the net! :waving: :waving:

I'm sure that Redwing will be along sometime to give you your official welcome. (probably after his nap)

Please look at my post about bearing noise.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/3801.html

I think that we have something in common.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Chris,

I didn't get a chance to check this out any further. When I started it up to go for that ride I got a strong smell like a belt burning so I shut it down immediately. I won't get a chance to work on the noise again until after I solve this problem. I suspect the timing belt sinse I don't know of any other belts on a goldwing. I think that I need to check out everything on this bike before I ride it much because I don't think the previous owner did much in the way of routine maintenance. I'll drop you a line when I can get back to the noise problem again.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

We need more information... However, GL1200's are notorious for valve train noise.. They really do sound like a dry wheel bearing when riding..

As for the burning smell, look for oil leaks dripping onto the exhaust pipes.. A timing belt seldom burns. They just shred or break outright..

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

White11Clay wrote:
I need to check out everything on this bike before I ride it much because I don't think the previous owner did much in the way of routine maintenance.
I'm with you on that one. :waving: The P.O. on my bike rode it only about 1,000 miles in the time that he had it which was a year or so. The bike was covered with dust and grime when I picked it up. It former home was in Minnesota and I live in Kansas. I trailered it back (I have not rode in over 10 years and did not want to start out on a 700 mile trip) and it rained about 80% of the way back. The bike was fairly clean by the time it got to Kansas.

I don't think that maintanence was a top priority for him either as his job kept him away from home all the time. Anyway, I too went over the bike fairly well when I got it home. It is better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.