Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After replacing the timing belts on my 1984 Aspencade, I notice she now has a chirping sound when I back off the throttle. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak but all joints are good. Any thoughts?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I would be wondering about the timing belt pulleys making noises at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey keener:waving:It would be a good idea to recheck the tension on the timing belts. I had to loosen mine just a little after installing new ones..:)

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's just what I was thinking but wanted some third party input before I went back in. Thanks, guys.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you set them to the book tension, they most likely will chirp or whistle a bit. So far none of us seem to have the guts to let them go for awhile and see if they quit after the belts have settled in. I didn't!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I don't think I will wait, either.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Keener, this may be a stupid question but did you try applying and releasing the throttle with the engine not running? Could just be a cable in need of lubrication.

Don't ask me how I know they make a chirping sound when dry!:gunhead:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Keener,,, What other work did you do on the bike when you replaced the belts?? How many miles on the bke? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

[align=left]Renegade: If the truth be told, I didn't do the work. I have a friend who's a certified Honda tech. While doing the belts, he checked the water pump et al and found all to be in good order. He also installed a set of Progressive front springs which, combined with the new Bridgestone Spitfire tires, make a lot of difference. Also re-did all the brakes. Now, with 60,000 km on her, she just purrs down the road (except for the belts chirping, that is).[/align]
[align=left][/align]

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I have a feeling the adjustersfor the belts may be dry, or the bearings are wearing out.. If you did not have the chirping noise prior to changing the belts, then it's not the adjusters.. There's really nothing else in there that would make that noise...

Some time ago, (not too long ago), I had an owner with the same problem.. Chirping.. It drove us nuts for weeks.. Kept getting longer and louder chirps. We really couldn't focus on where it was coming from, but just by some quirky move on my part, I touched the clutch lever by accident and the chirping quit for that split second... LO & BEHOLD!!! A clue... I pulled the clutch slave cylinder and the push rod... Come to find out that the push rod was absolutely dry where it resides inside the clutch basket... I greased up the rod on both the slave cyl. end and clutch end, and NO MORE CHIRPING!!! :clapper:

I'm not saying this is your cure,,, but it's worth checking into.. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks, Renegade. Your tip makes a lot of sense as the chirping was not there prior to replacing the belts and I'm told the adjustors are self-adjusting anyway. I'm taking her in to the local Honda shop Saturday for a professional check over. Such a task is well beyond my simple skills.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

The belts are not self adjusting.:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
The belts are not self adjusting.:)
Dean's right on that, I hope it wasn't a bike mechanic who told you the belts were self adjusting, if it was, find another!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Because I was given the information by a non-mechanic, and not wanting to take any chances, I called my tech friend and was advised such is not the case which has been confirmed by Paul and Dean herein. Thanks, guys. I was also advised tohave the adjusters checkedfor proper lubrication plus look at the bearings as suggested by Renegade.

It shall be done Saturday when she goes in to the local Honda shop. I'm a wee bit anxious but my tech buddy assures me the people are the next best thing to having him perform the work - high praise, indeed - so hopefully, we'll be out riding again Sunday without that noise. As long as she's back in top shape by July when we head out on our annual ten day tour, I'll be happy.

Once again, the members of this forum have done a great job and it's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Of course GW... Where else would you go??? :clapper:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.