Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1982 Wing. developed a strange noise at low speeds. sounds like tire separation hitting pavement (sort of a "slapping" sound). only at low speeds, and varies with speed.
On center stand sounds like a driveline noise. Universal joint?? Removed rear drive, all seems normal. no play. Slid back drive boot at engine and all appears tight and moves freely. Lots of grease (the right kind) on splines to wheel. Oil in gearbox clear with no metal flakes visible. Guess I should pull driveshaft and closely check bearings?? 82,000 km on the clock so excessive wear "should" not be a factor??
Ideas??

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly the noise is different when on the center stand? The driveline will make some noise when running slow on the center stand with no load on it. Have you noticed the speedometer needle bouncing?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm understanding correctly the noise is different when on the center stand? The driveline will make some noise when running slow on the center stand with no load on it. Have you noticed the speedometer needle bouncing?
speedometer needle does indeed bounce, but noise is there when on stand-ie speedo drive not turning.
did a run up with rear drive removed. In fourth gear at low rpm appears to be an engine internal noise. stops when clutch pulled in. as rpm increases, noise fades.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Does it matter which gear you are in when riding?

And lube the speedometer cable anyway.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did lube speedo cable. Now on to the problem. Completely tore down drive line. Found nothing amiss. Re lubed and re installed. same noises. Low speeds only, even when clutch is pulled in, pointing to an issue with drive line. Goes away at 30 kmph and above. No other symptoms. Universal and bearings appeared ok.
As an aside--I had a terrible time getting wheel back on. Splines just did not wish to cooperate. Over 4 hours to get wheel on. Never have had this problem in the past.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
It’s probably got a different name, but since it goes away when you pull the clutch, thro-out bearing?

But that bearing does nothing until you pull the clutch in.

If I understand correctly it only makes the noise when the rear wheel is turning?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But that bearing does nothing until you pull the clutch in.

If I understand correctly it only makes the noise when the rear wheel is turning?
correct, only when wheel turning. Has me baffled.
Thanks for your replies all!!
Will eventually get to the bottom of this!!

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Grasping at straws, might be a chipped gear in the transmission. You could start by taking the T shaped cover by the fuel pump off & inspect that gear.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I think I'd try to locate the source of the noise with the bike on the center stand. I've used a stethoscope and rubber tubing before but I've found the best way to really hear noises is with a long screwdriver. Hold the handle to your ear and touch the tip to various places that need a listen. This, of course, isn't doable on moving parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts