Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I purchased my 1989 1500 a few weeks ago it had some issues :X. I have worked thru most of them.When I first got the wing it was whisper quiet. My current issue started after I had to clean the "gunk out that was causing the floats to stick open. I dismantled down to below the air box to figure out what was wrong. After I put it all back together it runs just fine but I hear a lot of engine noise. It sounds like the rumble from deep in the engine. Its hard to describe - but it sounds louder and - only when twisting the throttle. When letting up the engine noise disappears. The only thing I can think of is maybe I didn't get the crankcase breather tube on the " floor" of the air-box on of well enough.It was tough to reach with the tight quarters. I really don't want to take it apart again - but what is your advice.

Help

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I may have the same problem, but it's more a "hissing" when I use the en-richener. That hose is almost impossible to reconnect, at least with my big hands. How do they do that stuff at the plant? Maybe none of the Tupper-ware is in place.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

All the parts have their job and should be put back in thier original position.. Also, together, they quiet the engine down..

Did you change oild at the same time as the carb clean out? What weight oil did you put back in? Just a suggestion...

If the air filter is not seated in the housing, you will also get engine noise..

Go back over all the work you did.. Take your time. One small connection may be off or connected back wrong.. Inspect all the vacuum lines for cracks etc.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Next rainy day it comes apart :? Does anyone have an idea on how to get the tubes all connected when you only have 1-2 inches to squeeze your hands into - surely someone has figured out a "tool" maybe a coat hanger :baffled:

Thanks guys

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The tool I use for all those vacuum hoses is a surgeons hose clip lock.. It looks like a pair of scisors, but instead of two cutting blades, there are two curved lips with grooves in them.. When you squeeze them together to grip the hose, there is a locking jaw which clicks and holds the hoses.. they are long and thin enough to reach in and under the intake plenum and you can twist and push to insert or remove a hose in just about any position.. Made of surgical steel and will never rust.. I believe you can buy them at specialty tool houses, or ask around at your local dentist. I've had mine for about 20 years and will never give them up..

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey it finely rained yesterday and I had some time to - get into it again- Down to the air box and SURE ENOUGH the hose for the crankcase breather was not connected. :shock: After some major head scratching I figured it out - got all the hoses back on and buttoned her up - whisper quiet :clapper::clapper::clapper:. Thanks to all who responded with advice.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.