Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally had time to remove my ring of fire to find the front brake noise.

Can you Guru's tell me if the front caliper is a floating one.By this i mean it moves a very little bit Both sides move If facing bike the right moves more.My noise is again hard to explain but here goes.When i apply the brake i get a noise as i release it.It only does it once per application. All seems very tight and my brakes work great. Only the noise bugs me. The better half is on the back and trust me that our steed works well.

A little humor. We are spending the kids inheritance so as not to let them fight when we go beyond. I wonder if i can bring: Bike Trailer Golfclubs ( hope the membership is cheap ) and us.

Dman

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

which year bike? There is a bushing pin on the caliper itself. I thought mine was good because the bolt went through easily, however the bushing pin is also supposed to float in the caliper. mine was corroded and not floating. I had to drive out the bushing pin... cleaned it up, put on lubricant and now it works correctly

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

88-1500

Could it be a sticking piston.

Where is the pin.

You did not need anything new.

Dman

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I forgot to ask.

Do i have to take the brake line off or can it be done without removing it.

Dman

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the pin is where the brake cylnder attaches to the fork... but that all depends on the year... on the 1200 it is the attackment at the bottom of the fork.

on my 1200 I was able to do this w/o taking off the line.

what model wing?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Since the rotors can't move, the caliper has to be free to move side to side to even the pressure on the pads. A typical symptom of a stuck caliper is one pad worn quite a bit more than the other. If you have to free a stuck mounting sleeve it would be advisable to disconnect the caliper from the brake line to prevent possible damage to the brake line. The sleeve should move freely in the caliper.As long as you are working on the caliper it would be a good idea to disassemble it and replace the seals and clean up the pistons. It doesn't take that much more effort to flush are refill the brake fluid if it hasn't been done in the last year or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.