Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1995 1500 that has 28K mile on it. I had new brake pads put on about 400 miles ago and i just noticed about 100 miles ago that at certain times when applying the brakes, that I hear a moaning out of the rear brake and maybe a chatter out of the drive line. I really noticed last week when I was in the mountains and slowing down on a down hill. It seems to do it at very low speeds to 25-30 MPH braking lightly. If you brake hard it doesn't seem to happen. I do not have any noise or vibration out of the bike other than during braking. I glanced up the bike at the rear Disk and there does not seem to be any excessive groves. The disk has some wear, but when the bike shop put new pads on they did not indicate that the disks were bad. Any thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum there are spring spacers that go in with the pads witch stop the pads from vibrating under load my guess they left them out when they replaced the pads if you put your hand up to the pads and just see if the pads are loose in the caliber if you fill in your location there may be some one near who can help

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for you input. That sound every much like what it could be. I won't doubt it that they left them out. I think they were rushing to finish it up. Having a extensive background in auto and marine mechanics I understand what you are referring to. I will give it a check and let you know what I found.
Thanks once again.

BTY: I am in the Orlando, Fl. area.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Your pads could be still trying to break themselves in to match the rotor. I wish those plates of steel could be turned or cheap to replace, but they are not.

I never did like my first set of replacement pads. They just did not give me that comfortable braking feeling. After I wore them out, I put on a set of copper sinters, and I immediately noticed a tremendous improvement. I am a whole lot more confident should I be in a panic stop.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The phospor bronze springs in the bike calipers aren't really for anti chatter they are just anti rattle to prevent the pads rattling in the caliper when the brakes are released. You might try some anti squeal compound on the back of the pads. Some 'Wings had a shim between the back of the pad and the caliper. Your '95 originally had one on the right front caliper but none on the left and rear ones. I've been using EBC organic pads on my 'Wings and get reasonably good life, they last about as long as two sets of tires. I don't really like the sintered metallic pads because it seems to me they wear the disk more quickly.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks once again, I hope to take a look at it this weekend. The weather is suppose to be bad on sunday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.