Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get that the title is confusing.

Basically, I want everything on my bike to be *functional*. Everything is useful and gets used and so far I'm there...but then I've got this dumb ol' CB that unless they do a remake of Smokey and the Bandit or CONVOY any time soon isn't gonna see any use.

If you've pulled your CB and replaced it with something else (even if it's just storage), what did you do? I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
some people put in a CD changer. I have seen others put in XM radio. The blank plate that covers the "hole" where the CB was will set you back about $90 bucks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some people put in a CD changer. I have seen others put in XM radio. The blank plate that covers the "hole" where the CB was will set you back about $90 bucks

I've got the cover that covers the actual CB unit, so I'm not *too* worried about a blank plate - is there a pocket or something that fits in the hole that you know of? I've got a new radio head unit on the way (got a shallow single din that can slide right into the existing space) so I'm not looking TOO hard at audio options...unless there's something just SUPER cool out there lol

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
If you happen to go on a group ride you might find the CB useful.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I've got the cover that covers the actual CB unit, so I'm not *too* worried about a blank plate - is there a pocket or something that fits in the hole that you know of? I've got a new radio head unit on the way (got a shallow single din that can slide right into the existing space) so I'm not looking TOO hard at audio options...unless there's something just SUPER cool out there lol

Shoot a PM to DaveO430 or AZgl1800. They both are very knowledgeable when it comes to Goldwings and parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Dave. When i first bought mine I did not want a CB. Thought it was a waste of space. Then started riding with a group of people and now I have one.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it?

In that case, is there (a) a best antenna to use (my bike didn't have an antenna when I bought it) and (b) a way to use the CB without having to have an intercom helmet?

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it?

In that case, is there (a) a best antenna to use (my bike didn't have an antenna when I bought it) and (b) a way to use the CB without having to have an intercom helmet?
Yes you can use a CB just like your radio, " open air" so to speak. Many ways to hook up a CB. I bought an Antenna from cycle maxx and use a hand held Motorola. That way I can run it through a sena s10r and my sena 20s Bluetooth.

If you get a set up make sure you set the SWR's and install a inline noise suppressor.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
. I bought an Antenna from cycle maxx and use a hand held Motorola. That way I can run it through a sena s10r and my sena 20s Bluetooth.

If you get a set up make sure you set the SWR's and install a inline noise suppressor.
My Aspencade doesn't have a CB and I am about to start participating in group rides, so I need one. I have bluetooth in my helmet, so I would like to know more about how to go about getting set up to use one like you have done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got (or am waiting to take receipt of) an aftermarket head unit that I'm certain won't work with my CB unit, and have neither a Bluetooth nor wired helmet. NONE of the other riders with me have CBs on their bikes but I'm not opposed to the idea.

I think a handheld unit would be more useful to me with as little as I use it, which leads me to redirect to my original question lol

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I think a handheld unit would be more useful to me with as little as I use it, which leads me to redirect to my original question lol
I would check your local Distracted Driving laws and those anywhere you're likely to travel.

Here and in many other jurisdictions if you have to take your hand(s) off the vehicle controls to even tune your radio you can be charged with Distracted Driving.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
My Aspencade doesn't have a CB and I am about to start participating in group rides, so I need one. I have bluetooth in my helmet, so I would like to know more about how to go about getting set up to use one like you have done.

I stand corrected. I purchased a Midland hand held from Wally world. ($80.00) then bought a Sena SR10 bluetooth, noise suppressor, two pin connector (i paid $10.00) and had to purchase a cable from Sierra Electronics that ran from my new antenna to the hand held. (cost about $20.00). In all i had about 250.00 in the set up

it took me about an hour to hook everything up and once i got the SWR's set, There is a push to talk button that comes with the SR10 that mounts on your handlebar. It works great. And now i can simply remove the hand held and use it when not on the bike.

I can send photos if you like to see what i have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
The CB often is very useful .
Aside from group rides, finding the rest of your group , if you get separated , contacting your wife on her portable CB at a campground ....

I was riding back from Alaska , about 9 years ago, miles from anywhere , noticed my gas gauge read extremely low, and started wondering how far I could actually push a loaded Wing ...
A big 18 wheeler motored up behind me ... I grabbed the hand controller , and held it aloft.

Within 1 minute we were chatting on Ch 18 .

Me : " How far to Teslin .. I'm running on fumes "
Him : " Laughing .... I own a motorcycle as well... I will follow you in ... you will make it ... more laughter
" and if you don't, I'm hauling an empty rig ... I'll get you there .."

We chit-chatted all the way to next gas station .

Worth every penny to have a CB on board . While blue tooth cell phones will work probably better in cities.... there are large parts of Yukon, Northern BC that have NO cell coverage

SilverDave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.