Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The other morning I started my bike for my commute to work and the tach was not working. I suspect that the cable has failed. What is the easiest way to check the cable and how difficult is it to replace? What else could prevent the the tach from functioning?

·
Administrator
26,995 Posts
imported post

Take the end of the cable loos from the tach, start the engine and see if it is turning. You will need to remove the false tank to route it properly if you need to replace it.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

it's pretty easy to test. just unscrew from the bottom of the tach. if it is not turning there, you can check at the sender side. unscrew the keeper bolt ( one of the bolts for the fuel pump elbow) and slide off the cable, see if the sender is turning. my cable is going as well, i can actually hear it whine with the frequency. i'm currently looking at changing all of my gauges to current technology digital and may cap off the hole where the tach comes from ( by the fuel pump).

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Cables are readily available on eBay or at the dealer. They are not very expensive. They can be run without removing the tank if you are careful.

:action:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.