Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been looking at tires for my 'new' 1100 and have narrowed the choices down to either the Metzler Lasertec or Dunlop 404. It appears the Lasertec uses an upgraded tread design whereas the 404 is an older traditional bias ply tread design. The Metzler lists at almost twice the price of the Dunlop (tiresunlimited.com).

Dunlop 404
Front: 110/90H19
Rear: 130/90H17

Metzler Lasertec
Front: 110/90V19
Rear: 130/90V17

Question 1: Is the added cost worth it from a performance and durability standpoint?
Question 2: The Metzlers are a higher speed rated tire (V vs M). Would this make any difference from a rideability and handling standpoint?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd go with Dunlop E-III's myself rather than the 404. Have one on my rear and getting ready to order 1 for the front.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I looked at the Elite IIIs, but found a fit for only the front, the rear doesn't come in a 17 inch tire...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Your bike must be an 80-81 model that uses 19" front, 17" rear. The 82-83's use an 18" front and 16" rear.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Don't run the D404, it's junk to put it bluntly. You can run the Roadrider tires as mentioned, but you'll have to go down to a 100 from a 110 front. Other brands such as Avon or Continental make a nice tire too. The D404 is a low price tire for good reason. One good thing about them though is they are a bicycle tire basically in construction, so they mount real easy :)However that spindly construction is not something I want to ride on personally and they get hard and slippery really fast.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

don't know about avon but my 1200 had metzlers on when i bought it kinda worn didn't handle very well put dunlop e3's couldn't be happier

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I would go with Metzler me880 marithons. Good touring tire.I get around 22kish on the fronts around 10k on the rear. Been running metzlers for 20 yrs.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I put 404's on my 1200 and developed a head shake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Well nobody seems to like a 404. But I have a 81 with 404's on it. I just pulled a 404 off the front of my bike with 19,000 miles and still was not to the wear bars. It has held up well on the 1100. I think I could go 25,000 on a front 404. Thwe rears I get about 12,000. So unless someone can figure out how to get 50,000 on a front and 25,000 on a rear. Why pay twice as much? Very happy with Dunlop tires. And with a 80 or 81 choices are not quiet as good.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Maybe the 404s quality varies by size choice for all I know, but I had them on an old worn out KZ650 I ride to work all yr around. Like I said, they are flimsier constructed than any tire I've ever seen fitted to a motorcycle. I've had the misfortune as most riders to have a flat tire in not the most friendly of places over the years and always found a little reassurance in the fact I can ride on a flat tire if necessary for several miles. Yes I know not recommended, but that or walk 4 miles through the projects at 2AM, I'll take my chances with the flat tire ride. It would be very difficult if not impossible to ride on a 404 flat because they have no sidewall strength, that tire would be flopping uncontrollably in every direction. I know I shouldn't diss a tire for this, but what would happen if the tire suddenly lost air while riding? Results would be far more dangerous than a better tire. They did hold up very well, I'll give a good nod there, but towards the end, I could spin my rear tire at 30mph just by gassing it on a rain slickened road, and this is on a worn out POS that I get passed frequently by fully loaded semis on passes, so not good feelings there and the front felt like it was going to let go in every turn. I swapped out these after about 1/2 tread was gone and never looked back. The difference in cost of the best tires vs the worst is really damn near nothing over time, so it costs $0.02 more per mile to ride with better tires. I'll not go back. So there's my review. No offense to anyone that likes the 404s or to save money, but think about it is all I ask.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I Know you didnt ask about the Metzler ME880 tires . But thats the set I had experience with . So FYI I installed a new set . Ran them almost 10k miles . I was very happy with ride and wet/dry handling . I picked up a sheetmetal screw in the reat tire. Upon looking at the tire I found the lugs of the tire at the base of the grooves were starting to crack and split . I ride mostly solo and keep the air at 41/41. I wasnt happy with the way that tire had split. The front one looked good enough to ride another 5k probably.

The pair were replaced by Avon s . At this point ,not enough miles to say how they will last . Seem to be ok in rain or dry.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

While we're at it-Whats the difference between an elite II and an eliteIII? I have EliteII's on my new to me 1200.Is it just the raised white letters?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I am a big fan of the Dunlop Elite 2's but since Dunlop thinks that nobody wants them they have apparently quit making them . there are more than raised white letters for a difference, tread pattern is different. I have used both and get about the same mileage from both . Dunlop claims more for the 3's,
I like the strong sidewalls on the Dunlops, I have ridden many a mile on a flat one. It seems when you get going they kind of self inflate. I do not suggest you do this.
Its a real shame that Dunlop does not make a rear17 inch in the elite 3', so I have never had a matched set of those. Its getting harder to find a good tire for these bikes anymore. I do not think the 404 is a great tire either but there is not much out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.